Fuel filler tube cleanup

Randy'65

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2000
Richmond, VA
While I'm in the process of changing the fuel tank, I want to clean up the fuel filler tube. It looks like it is galvanized steel? It has rust and some kind of white corrosion inside, I'm taking that and a box of some other parts to a buddies house to sandblast, is this a good idea on this piece? Anything I can treat the inside with afterwards or just leave raw metal?

• Sponsors (?)

But where does that stop, it's only $10 for a new battery tray, only $15 each for new bumper support arms, $20 for this, $10 for that, it adds up in a hurry all these little items. Plus I hear a lot about the reproduction stuff not having the same fit and having to work with it to make it work. I'd like to use as much of the original stuff as possible. Why not use a little elbow grease on some of those smaller parts. The piece is fine, just needs a little work.

But where does that stop, it's only $10 for a new battery tray, only $15 each for new bumper support arms, $20 for this, $10 for that, it adds up in a hurry all these little items. Plus I hear a lot about the reproduction stuff not having the same fit and having to work with it to make it work. I'd like to use as much of the original stuff as possible. Why not use a little elbow grease on some of those smaller parts. The piece is fine, just needs a little work.

replate the part. it's an old car. i don't think maintenance ever stops. some parts you might have the tooling and skill to restore yourself and other's you won't. this part was originally plated so if you want original that's your only choice besides seeking out an original that's in better condition.