fuel gage on 65 coupe..? fuse for this?

the fuel gage on my 65 quit working...first of all is there a fuse that only goes to the fuel gage.
.i am used to my 68 fuse box location..
on the 65 first it took me a little while to find it.it was in a different location..second very hard to read what goes where..
anyway is there a fuse for the fuel gage.?.and sorta where is it in the box...i hope my hands are small enough if there is..thanks
of course i should know all of this..but i have never had to touch the fuse box on this before..

• Sponsors (?)

No, there is no fuse for the fuel guage. It is powered by the constant voltage unit on the back of the dash. This also powers your water temperature guage. That unit could have failed, however your best bet is to crawl under the back of the car and see if the push-on plug fell off the sending unit.

If I remember correctly you can ground the wire out on the frame and the gauge should peg if everything is working correctly... which means its the sending unit itself.

DJCarbine said:
If I remember correctly you can ground the wire out on the frame and the gauge should peg if everything is working correctly... which means its the sending unit itself.

The temperature gauge would be on the same VR as the gas gauge. Does the temperature gauge work as before?

Yes, ground the wire at the tank and then observe the gauge (with the ignition switch in the "ON" position.) If it moves from E to F, then the sending unit is toast. This is normally the problem.

If it doesn't move, it is time to remove the gauge panel and do some checking there. You must determine if the gauge itself is getting voltage-use a small 12v light for trouble shooting or a meter. Once you know which wire is hot, you can then short the other wire to ground and watch for a gauge movement.