Fuel gauge not working

• Sponsors (?)

Could be any number of things.

Start with this:
Climb under the rear and pull the wire off of the fuel sender unit (wire to the gas tank). Now ground this wire out, then get in the car and turn on the ignition. The guage should be pegged past "F". If not, it's 1 of 3 things

1) Power to guage (should have +5V to guage)
2) Guage itself.
3) break in wire between guage and fuel sender.

If it does max out, then the problem is with the fuel sender unit itself.

65fastback2+2 said:
yours isnt the only one with this problem ahah

Mine bounces around wildly at idle and with the key just to the on position. The only way I can get a good reading is to keep the rpms up at around 2500, so when I need to know the gas level, it's freeway time! :rlaugh: I think it's a bad connection at the gauge. :rolleyes:

2nd Mustang said:
Mine bounces around wildly at idle and with the key just to the on position. The only way I can get a good reading is to keep the rpms up at around 2500, so when I need to know the gas level, it's freeway time! :rlaugh: I think it's a bad connection at the gauge. :rolleyes:

Mine is always lying to me...
I'll be driving on the highway for 50 minutes with the correct fuel reading (1/4 tank or so) and all of a sudden I'm getting a *FREE* fueling! :hail2: My car is special it fills the tank for me.... All the way up to "F" it goes.... It stays like that for a few days and finally drops back to where I believe "Normal" to be.... Ughhhhh :shrug: