fuel injected 302 engine run on key off

1stanger1

Jul 3, 2005
in my house
so for those of you that know what i am doin with this car..

i had a new issue today..and i didnt do anthing different since yesterday when it ran fine.

started it up let it run then shut it off...fuel pump stayed on but sounded like it was running very lightly like it was hooked to dead battery

now after i installed my 3g alt and wired it in, threw a new belt on and started it up showing at the gauge about 13.8 volts charging...seemed ok to me so i shut it off....although my car had other ideas it just ran and ran and ran...sputtering like hell i ripped the key out...jumped out of the car and ******ed the battery terminals off still nothing ran back to my fuel pump relay installed in the trunk and ripped out the wires...

now i know the relay is wired right.. i posted a pic of the diagram that i used
2 wires from the puter pin 19 and 22
1 12v constant
1 12v switched.....pin 19 gets pigtailed to the pump then the other wire from the pump gets grounded...

and for those who dont remember its a 302 fuel injected hard wired to a 99 mustang

Attachments

• EEC-FP_RELAYS.jpg
    EEC-FP_RELAYS.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 6,487
  • Sponsors (?)

think i may have found the culprit

for some reason my wire that used to turn off when the key was off is now hot when the key is on but if i disconnect the battery and then reconnect it it stays off until i turn the key back on

still dont know why but i found the problem

so now my question is wonder why?

found a jumper wire that i had forgotten to pull off it was at the eec relay for the injectors...

but the pump continues to run if i hook 12v switched to the eec even after the key is off....sounds like a relay problem but which one?...also a new symptom...the car still has the factory CCRM (constant control relay module for those that didnt know)and its screaming like hell...its making a buzzing noise...i am not aware that i have any wire tied to this and also the wire that i had running from the fuse panel for switched power to the eec is now dead, no power coming from the fuse panel at that connection at all maybe i'll look into this ccrm and see if there is a fried relay that i am using and dont know it

this is getting to be a pain in my ass i have never had this much trouble

found the wire to the ccrm that made it buzz...but it no more buzz..everything is hooked back up eec has 12v key on at pin 37 and 57\

turn key fuel pump kicks on relays click start car..fires up..then dies! but if hold the throttle open it stays running....i'm gonna try one more thing..i'll let ay know if it works.

yeah, i know.

i found the reason the fule pump was staying on when the key was off it was a jumper wire i forgot to take off for the fuel pump and when i turned the key off it kept feeding fuel so it just ran and ran.....but the vacuum line was a whole other story...i could keep it running for more than 3 seconds and found a big line off

I guess I was not articulate enough. A vacuum leak (or having the fuel pump jumped) will not allow a car to run without the key being on. I'd keep looking for more electrical issues.

i do belive you may be wrong, and right

the fuel pump was jumped to a wire that was still hot when the key was off

and the alternator was hooked up with the belt in place....the power was back feeding through the excite wire....causing everything to still be hot when the key was off and the battery unhooked...i set everything back up the exact same way and it did it again so i tested the wires and it proved it power backfeeding through that wire!

but the vacuum leak was another issue i couldnt get it to idle right and i found that vacuum leak the 2 are completely unrelated

Though it doesn't sound like you had much of a choice, disconnecting the battery on a running EFI vehicle is a big no-no - it can create a voltage spike that can fry electronics.

It seems like what you're saying is that there was an electrical issue that was causing the vehicle to continue to run. The regulator excite-circuit does not provide power (it only grounds to illuminate the battery light). A vac leak alone would not allow (or have anything to do with) the accessory components staying hot (if they shut off properly, which they are/were not doing on your car).

Though it doesn't sound like you had much of a choice, disconnecting the battery on a running EFI vehicle is a big no-no - it can create a voltage spike that can fry electronics.

It seems like what you're saying is that there was an electrical issue that was causing the vehicle to continue to run. The regulator excite-circuit does not provide power (it only grounds to illuminate the battery light). A vac leak alone would not allow (or have anything to do with) the accessory components staying hot (if they shut off properly, which they are/were not doing on your car).

it seems that either i am not explaining correctly or you just dont under stand.....

the vacuum leak HAD nothing to do with the car running with it off... it just wouldnt run right and then i found the leak....THEN i had the run on problem

and the excite wire is connected to a run/start position power was back feeding through that wire into the system and your right i should have never ripped of the battery cables...but i did.. AND HERE IS THE KICKER...it staye4d running until i disconnected to fuel pump power wire...

So i redid everything back to the way it was and it did it again i have sourced it back to the alternator backfeeding power.....there is nothing you can say that would change that....it did do it i tested it i was feeding back power from the alt back into the system and was keeping it running........i proved this by doing it over and over and checking voltage at the same time....

not trying to be a douche and with all do respect please try and understand my specialty is ford wiring....i can wire up a toilet seat that would suck the pants off ya i was also the one that wired a fuel inj. 460 into a 93 ford probe
and as soon as i get the go ahead and a place to put them i am going to upload every ford wiring diagram that i have....