Fuel injection Vs Carb pros and cons?

• Sponsors (?)

There are only two real cons I see. The cost, and the look. There's is just something about a carb and round chrome air cleaner on a V-8, it's like it was meant to be. Other then that, EFI is better.

-Shaun

ever see that car in mustangs and fords with the 4.6 with the modified intake and throttle body so it used a oval air cleaner, like what you'd see on a dual carb setup? It was a cougar i think, blue maybe?

Fuel injection is just a better technology allowing for far better performance, increased fuel economy and better emissions. It all bepends on what you want from your car long term. I for one cant wait until I get motivated to complete my injection project. Maybe this weekend! after I fix the chinmey, cut the grass, and do some motocross riding....Maybe not this weekend.
If you want it original keep it carb'd

A thought just popped in my mind (uh oh)

A fuel injected engine has TONS of aftermarket parts...upper and lower intakes (pricey), fuel injectors, chips, MAFs, throttle bodys, etc. Each of these components are used to increase HP.

A carb engine has....an intake, fuel pump, and a carb. It doesnt have provisions for sensors, chips, MAFs, TBs, etc etc. Now, since the carb setup is so basic, shouldnt it make a lil more HP if setup properly? I mean, changing of electronic components on an EFI engine, how much of an effect does that really have as compared to a carb engine. Does anyone understand what im talking about?

in equal states of tune neither makes more power that the other. efi does allow tighter control over the fuel mixture, and you can custom taylor the fuel curve to meet engine demands. you can also set efi up to be either a stand alone system, or you can add ignition and other controls as well. all that makes the efi system seem like you get better performance, but not really. you do however get better driveability with efi. the downside is higher initial cost, and more complexity. also when trouble shooting, you cant just throw parts at(either really) an efi system based on computer codes and expect to solve a problem. you really have to get in and trace circuits, and do alot more testing than you would with a carb. efi does allow better fuel economy and emmissions control due to the tighter control on the fuel curve.