Fuel Fuel Injector Cleaners

7991LXnSHO

wanna catch the space herp
10 Year Member
Sep 1, 2010
Kearney, NE
While watching an info-tainmeant car show, I saw a very good simile for the different types of fuel injector cleaners. The types that have petroleum distillates (they are usually listed for every tank or frequent use) are like brushing your teeth twice a day. They are for preventative maintenance.

The heavy duty cleaners with stronger solvents are like going to the dentist to get the plaque off. If you want healthy teeth and injectors, do not get them mixed up. And if you are having problems from build up along your gum lines or on your injectors, you start with the heavy cleaning, then use the preventative cleaning or daily brushing.

So for those who can not see the little print on the bottles or did not pay attention in chemistry, STP and Seafoam are for regular use. B12 Chemtool and the dealership stuff that often comes in metal cans are for when you need a deep cleaning.

• Sponsors (?)

I throw a can of Techron in my tank at every oil change. It contains PEA's and does a great job of cleaning out injectors an deposits. The GM fuel injector you used to get at the dealer cleaner was actually rebranded Techron.

For an injector cleaning, GM made a good top end cleaning kit, which connects to your fuel rail and yu run the can of solvent through the engine.

Here is the MSDS on Techron. You can see what is really in it besides excellent marketing.

https://cglapps.chevron.com/msdspds/MSDSDetailPage.aspx?docDataId=283264

With naphtha (lighter fluid), benzene and petroleum distillates, it is ideal for use in each tank. It will not melt any plastic fittings or rubber hoses, nor the worst deposits if you are already having trouble.

The GM parts department I managed did not carry something this mild and safe for every tank use. It was the rescue style to remove the plaque from the whole system all the way to the back of the valves. And it smelled like a toxic paint stripper that would also curl snd remove your nose hairs.

This is a perfect example of needing to make sure you are running the right product you need. Techron will help keep you out of trouble, but it should not be strong enough to really clear a partially clogged system.