Engine Fuel Injector Size?

dfr89gt

Apr 13, 2014
I have a bad injector in my 89 GT. My buddy gave me 2 complete sets of injectors. One is set of used , but good, 19lb. stock injectors (F2TE-A3A) and the second is a NEW set of 24lb. injectors (F1TE-D5A). I would really like to use the new set.
The engine has a E303 cam, GTP 40 heads and a stock intake. Would the 24lb. be to much?
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

Not needed for your mods. You would also need a new matching maf sensor to run them
Thanks, I thought it wouldn't be that simple. As it turns out it seems to be a break in the wire to the injector. Checked it with a noid light, nothing.
It is getting power to the injector (red on #2 cyl.) so the other one must have a break.

Look for problems in the 10 pin connectors.
You will need a good multimeter or DVM to check the resistance of the suspect injector wiring continuity from the injector to the correct pin on the 10 Pin connector. Turn the ignition to Run and check for good 12 volts at the suspect injector. Then turn the ignition Off and check the resistance of both wires to the 10 pin connector.

See the graphic for the 10 pin connector circuit layout.
salt-pepper-10-pin-connectors-65-jpg.68512

A little work cleaning the 10 pin connectors may help. Sometimes a small jeweler's screwdriver and be used to spread the male pins open a little and close up the female pins.

a9x-series-computer-connector-wire-side-view-gif.71316

eec-iv-computer-connector-for-5-0-mustang-gif.88243

Next check the fuel injector wiring end to end. Each fuel injector has a red wire (power) and an non-read wire (computer controlled ground). Set the multimeter to low ohms and measure each non red fuel injector wire from
the fuel injector connector to the matching pin on the computer connector. You should see less than 2 Ohms. More than that means a bad connection or bad wiring. See the links to the engine wiring diagrams below to get the correct diagram for you car.

Since you didn't post the model year of your car, I have put up links to both engine wiring diagrams.

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host) for help on 88-95 wiring http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/ Everyone should bookmark this site.

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 91-93 Mass Air Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/91-93_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Complete computer, actuator & sensor wiring diagram for 88-91 Mass Air Mustangs
http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91_5.0_EEC_Wiring_Diagram.gif

Last edited:
Thank you for the diagrams and the link. It's a 89 GT with A9L. We just moved and I can't find my Mustang books.
Is there a tool or some trick to getting the ten pin connectors apart? Last time I had them apart was when I rebuilt the engine 2003. I tried pushing the tabs and pulling them apart. They didn't co-operate.

I don't have any tricks, it's push one way pull the other. Try to make sure the locking tabs aren't hooked to each other once you start pulling. I have the same problem when I have to wrestle with them. A second set of hands may help if you can find room to work with them.

Well I got the connector apart and check the continuity and it was good to the injector.
But after inspecting the female end where the #2 injector pin goes look like it is spread compared to the others.

Attachments

• P5010025.JPG
    P5010025.JPG
    610.7 KB · Views: 130
Thanks again for all the help. It was the ten pin connector. I cleaned the female and male contacts, spread the male pin a bit and put dielectric grease on female end. Put it back together and it runs great. Seems to run better all around (idle, power) than before.:)