Fuel Fuel Line Fix

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
One of the precious owners of my car spliced the fuel lines together in an attempt to make a repair. The repair was made where the hard lines turn into soft lines at the engine bay. I cycled the switch and went to check for leaks and found fuel spewing from a small Crack in the rubber line, which was secured with hose clamps. After removing the clamps and peice of rubber hose, I cannot believe it held this long.

So, I figured the best repair is the factory way. This is where I need some help. It looks like the factory uses a barb fitting and nthe hose is simply compressed around the barb. I want to replicate this, and I think the proper line to use is 5/16 nylon????? Is this correct?

It appears you just heat the nylon hose in boiling water, slide it overy the factory barb, and let it cool. Pretty simple. Anyone ever done this? Hopefully someone can confirm fuel line size and type of soft line I need.

Thanks!

Joe

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I purchased a nylon fuel line repair kit from AZ. It was expensive, as it cost $15 for a 18" piece. I cut the old line off the hard lines coming under the car, which revealed the barbed fitting. I also cut the old linen off the disonnect.

You have to boil the line for about ten minutes. 30 seconds does not work. I used a left over piece of hard brake line and slid it throught the hose and fitting to give it some rigidity while I pushed the hose on. The disconnect fitting went on fairly easy.

The hard line was a little tougher, manly because it was still attached to the car and in an akward position. I made a few attempts, but had a hard time getting it all the way on. I grabbed my wife's hairdryer and applied heat to the hose and slid it a little further, reapplied heat, a little further, and so on until it was over the barbs.

I then slit a piece of rubber tubing and slid it over the entire length of nylon hose and secured it on top of the barbed fittings with hose clamps. I did not clamp it anywhere that the nylon hose would be compressed, only where it was slid over the barbed fitting. I then helped close the rubber line up in a few places with some black tape.

I Primed the fuel pump about 5 times and no leaks so far. I will test it again before start up, but it appears to be holding. Then return line has some age on it, but appears to be in factory shape. I left it alone.

Joe