Fuel pump access from trunk

rjpetr

Dec 17, 2002
Tampa FL
Has anyone figured out a way to get to the fuel pump and wiring without having to drop the tank? Like cutting an access panel in the trunk or expanding the access hole that is there? How safe is it to make the access hole bigger in the trunk? I need to get at the connector but don't want to drop the tank. If I press on the connector I can hear the pump turn on and off so the wiring or connector is intermittent.

I would like advice from anyone that may have done this access hole expansion or any other ideas.

Thanks
Rich

• Sponsors (?)

I saw that done in a old MM&FF where they were doing lots of fuel pump swaps. It can be done but it is easier if you drop the tank so you get a nice accurate cut. I would cover it up with some type of panel when you are done...

I did cut a pannel in my old brand X car just for that purpose. You need to make sure you put a cover with a good seal over the hole, though, to keep all the vapors and fumes out. In retrospect, it would have just been easier to drop the tank.

Yeah I agree.. I think dropping the tank would be much easier....

the access hole you are talking about is close to the fuel level but the pump is not there. The pump is closer to were the wire go thru the floor... Maybe you could just drop it down far enough to squeeze your hand up there and get what you need...

Dropping the tank is pretty easy and shouldn't take long..