Fuel Pump Install

SilikonBlu said:
You said you got the pump for $50 CDN - I'm curious to know where as I paid $108 CDN here in Winnipeg (and that was after calling around to about 12 different places).

Good luck with the replacement :)

I should have specifided.. i got the pump slightly used. A local guy had installed it in his mustang late in the fall, and removed it during the winter when his plans changed.

89 Saleen#455: Thanks a lot for the how to, that clears everything up even more. Although i already bent the tabs on that locking nut washer, or whatever it was, i'll have to hammer it flat again to re-install.

• Sponsors (?)

Mavrick said:
The previous owner cut a hole in the trunk, so i won't need to drop the tank.

I knew some of the folks on the SHO forum had been cutting access holes for their fuel pumps (I may have to do that one day on ours) but I've been wondering if it could be done on our Fox Mustangs. I just changed mine out the old fashioned way on my 89 GT. Not really that bad but if I ever have to do it again the access panel makes sense.

Looks like there are lots of methods. Follow this link for a thread on the SHO site about doing this:
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=609&highlight=fuel+pump

BlackGT89 said:
I knew some of the folks on the SHO forum had been cutting access holes for their fuel pumps (I may have to do that one day on ours) but I've been wondering if it could be done on our Fox Mustangs. I just changed mine out the old fashioned way on my 89 GT. Not really that bad but if I ever have to do it again the access panel makes sense.

Looks like there are lots of methods. Follow this link for a thread on the SHO site about doing this:
http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=609&highlight=fuel+pump

Ya, it seems way easier than dropping the tank. You don't even need a big hole.. the hole in my trunk is a little messy so im going to clean it up with the dremel after i get the new pump in there next week.. and i'll take pictures and measurements for you guys.

My comments on soldering the wires were based on the fact that the crimp terminals in mine showed evidence of overheating. I am more than just a little paranoid about electrical sparks and overheating wiring in a gas tank.

jrichker said:
My comments on soldering the wires were based on the fact that the crimp terminals in mine showed evidence of overheating. I am more than just a little paranoid about electrical sparks and overheating wiring in a gas tank.

I can see where your coming from there. I pulled the pump out of my tank today to inspect (had nothing to do, dont get my new pump till next week) and the terminals looked brand new.. no visible damage to anything. Pump was really easy to get out.. 5min with that hole in the trunk. Rotated it 180 degree's then just wiggled it right out.

My car is pretty STOCK, and with the smaller 110lph pump i don't think im going to worry about the terminals overheating.

jrichker said:

This concerned me too when I realized the wires and connections are actually submerged in fuel. When I took my old FP out I noticed where the wires had been in contact with the frame that holds the FP in place there was a shiny spot, and the wires actually had considerable wear on them at the same spot. It had probably worn more than halfway through the insulation (maybe I'll post the pics one day). Granted it did last 15 years and 170,000 miles, but it just makes you wonder. That would probably be a pretty spectacular explosion should it wear all the way through and short out.

Add one more member to the paranoid club for fuel pump replacement members. Not only did I solder my connections, I used the shrinkable wire sheathing over each solder joint, followed by a healthy wrapping of electrical tape, topped off with several wire tie wraps on each wire for good measure. Not an area you want to test the laws of one Mr. Murphy.