Fuel pump lays down on full tank

bigbird04

Jul 15, 2010
Decatur Al.
So heres the deal fill up with gas today on the way to work, get off work at three decide hey its sixty degrees in january why not change the plugs in the stang. Get to the parts store buy plugs, car is running great, then I say to myself hey its a really nice day outside ( by the way tomorrow is my first day off this year) why not enjoy some cold beer while changing plugs. I then stop by the store and got some BL, and even bought the kids some bug juice . Man this is going to be a great afternoon I thought as I cranked the 04 GT up,wait whats that spit, sputter, dare I say miss. Oh well going to be under the hood any way, I still wasn't upset, then she dies and won't come back I've checked everything, bad news I think its the fuel pump I have voltage to the pump, but I can't here the pump running. If this were a pats issue would I still have voltage to the pump? I've checked the fuel pump fuse, jumped the inertia switch, can hear the relay in passenger fender, but no pump. I'm sorry I don't have a scanner to read codes. I don't want to drop a full tank of gas to condem a good pump, but is there anything else to do. I'm sorry about the long post. I went from a great day to a really crappy day in less than 3 mins.

• Sponsors (?)

bigbird04:

I think that you've diagnosed the problem correctly. The only other trick you can try is a direct 12V source to the pump. If it doesn't whir to life then she's dead or the wiring inside the tank to the pump is kaput.

HTH,

Chris

p.s.--There's an unwritten natural law that says the fuel pump will only quit after the gas tank has been filled.

bigbird04:

I think that you've diagnosed the problem correctly. The only other trick you can try is a direct 12V source to the pump. If it doesn't whir to life then she's dead or the wiring inside the tank to the pump is kaput.

HTH,

Chris

p.s.--There's an unwritten natural law that says the fuel pump will only quit after the gas tank has been filled.

Yea, and cars want to break when, one plans to spend cash on that mod one has been thinking about for months:nonono:, dang preventative maintenance:nonono:.

bigbird04:

An ice pack will help and after you're feeling better you can use the ice pack on your intake. :D

You work quickly, to say the least. Good work getting the new pump in and the car back in tip-top shape. Thanks for the update, too.

Chris