Fuel pump not getting power. Wiring experts needed

Look Its Aaron

Your car looks like it came straight from Mexico.
Founding Member
Nov 18, 2001
Fontana, Cali
Ok a few days ago, me and my friend were messing with my car and low and behold he burned something out. He either hit the battery or the starter solenoid with something and, we thought nothing of it.

Well I went to start my car and it just kept cranking. I noticed that I did not hear my fuel pump. I tested the lines on the fuel pump, and sure enough I was not getting any power to the pump. I tested the pink/black line. My I wired power straight to the pink/black line and fuel pump went on and my car started. So here is where I am stuck. I need to no what wires or where I should look to get this damn pump running again.

I bought a new fuel pump relay thinking that may be the problem. It wasn't.

HERE IS THE CURENT STATUS

I have a Mitchell book for my year car and I also was on All Data and got some wiring diagrams for my car.

the pink/black wires look like they go into the relay then they hit a switch and that turns into a black and orange line, and that goes to a Fusable Link. To be exact it says "BLUE FUS LINK D"

I am looking for that fusable link. I think there is another relay that looks like the fuel pump relay by it's by the MAF.

I really dont know what to look for so any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

isnt there i fuelpump relay under the driver seat? also the enertia switch resets the fuel pump(i think) which is in the trunk behind the driver side taillight. i doubt i did any help but hey, im no wiring/fuelpump expert.

The fuse links are all in the harness up near the starter solenoid. You are going to get to unwrap the harness starting from there unless someone else has an exact location to look. The fuse link is connected to an Orange/LT Blue wire. The other side of the fuse link is connected to a black wire that connects to a 10 gauge yellow wire that runs to the battery side of the starter solenoid. Start at the 10 gauge yellow wire on the starter solenoid and unwrap the harness until you find the fuse link.

If you can't find the fuse link, a 14 gauge wire with a 15 amp fuse could be run from the battery side of the starter solenoid to the Orange/LT Blue wire on the fuel pump relay.

Here's some help in understading how the fuel pump electrical circuitry works...

The electrical circuit for the fuel pump has two paths, a control path and a power path.

The control path consists of the inertia switch, the computer, and the fuel pump relay coil. It turns the fuel pump relay on or off under computer control. The switched power (red wire) from the ECC relay goes to the inertia switch (red wire) then from the inertia switch to the relay coil and then from the relay coil to the computer (green wire). The computer provides the ground path to complete the circuit. This ground causes the relay coil to energize and close the contacts for the power path. Keep in mind that you can have voltage to all the right places, but the computer must provide a ground. If there is no ground, the relay will not close the power contacts.

The power path picks up from a fuse link near the starter relay. Fuse links are like fuses, except they are pieces of wire and are made right into the wiring harness. The feed wire from the fuse link (orange/light blue wire) goes to the fuel pump relay contacts. When the contacts close because the relay energizes, the power flows through the contacts to the fuel pump (light pink/black wire). The fuel pump has a black wire that supplies the ground to complete the circuit.

See the following website for some help from Tmoss (diagram designer) & Stang&2Birds (website host)

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/IgnitionSwitchWiring.gif

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/fuel-alt-links-ign-ac.gif

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine/images/88-91eecPinout.gif