Fuel pump problem? Help please!

Kdizzite

Sep 13, 2003
West Bloomfield, MI
My car has been acting weird the last couple days, and when im on the highway the check engine light goes on for a few seconds then will go off. When i was at a stop light today the engine reved a little then died. When im driving sometimes and i push on the gas sometimes it takes a second or two for the power to kick in. I scanned the computer for codes and it brought up 542 like 3 times, "fuel pump secondary circuit failure". Does this sound like the problem or did I interpret the scan wrong? I recently cleaned the MAF sensor and replaced the intake and coolant sensor. I had the fuel filter changed too.

• Sponsors (?)

Kdizzite said:
My car has been acting weird the last couple days, and when im on the highway the check engine light goes on for a few seconds then will go off. When i was at a stop light today the engine reved a little then died. When im driving sometimes and i push on the gas sometimes it takes a second or two for the power to kick in. I scanned the computer for codes and it brought up 542 like 3 times, "fuel pump secondary circuit failure". Does this sound like the problem or did I interpret the scan wrong? I recently cleaned the MAF sensor and replaced the intake and coolant sensor. I had the fuel filter changed too.

What year car? Only 93 or later cars had 3 digit codes.

Kdizzite said:

Code 542: Fuel pump monitor circuit shows no power - Fuel pump relay or battery power feed was open - Power / Fuel Pump Circuits.

Look for a failing fuel pump relay, bad connections or broken wiring. The fuel pump relay is located under the Mass Air Meter on Fox bodied stangs built after 91. The location may be different for 94-95, try posting in the 94-95 specific forum for more help.