Fuel Pump relay questions...

Strike One

Founding Member
Aug 22, 2000
San Francisco, CA
I am trying to replace my fuel pump relay and have a couple questions:

1) I have a '92, so the relay is under my mass air. There are two relays under there, which one is it? The one closest to the air box or further?

2)The relay I got from ford doesn't look like it will fit at all. The connection seems different. Did ford change them?? It looks smaller than both of the 2 relays as well. Can someone help?

• Sponsors (?)

jerry beach said:
Read a wiring diagram. you can get a good one at www.veryuseful.com Look around a bit and you will find the ECC diagram for your car. Match up wire colors and you will have the correct relay. Do you know that is the problem, or are you replacing parts at random hoping to fix it?

Well, my car will randomly not get a prime from the fuel pump. It will not work but then 3 hours later it will. I am gonna replace the relay before I spend the time trying to replace the pump.

Could very well be the inertia switch, I have seen them do the same thing. You can jump it out with a paper clip and see if that stops the problem. It could be lots of other things too, but that is the cheapest and easiest to check.

jerry beach said:
Could very well be the inertia switch, I have seen them do the same thing. You can jump it out with a paper clip and see if that stops the problem. It could be lots of other things too, but that is the cheapest and easiest to check.

Do you mean having a bad inertia switch instead? What do you mean by "jumping it out". I looked at the inertia switch and the red button was still down...If I had a bad inertia switch, wouldn't it not start at all since the fuel pump would be cut off? My car will randomly not start... leave it for 2 or 3 hours and it wil start but then randomly will not start anymore. Thanks for helping by the way!

i think Jerry means to take the switch out and run a paperclip from one terminal to the other, so as to bypass the switch.
the switch can fail (not give good continuity), while appearing to be fine on the outside (and irregardless of the "button" position).

good luck.