Fuel Pump Replacement

gallags

May 17, 2005
I have early built 2005 Mustang GT I only have 19,500 miles on it. I was on a long drive 750 miles round trip probably the longest trip the car has seen. Three times during the trip the car hesitated once leaving a toll booth, once after filling up and once in highway traffic jam; from what I read it seems to be air bubbles from the fuel pump after long drives. The car is mildly modified; K&N CAI, Tune, mufflers and suspension; I want to one day add FI. But don’t know which fuel pump to replace it with should go stock, aftermarket or GT 500 dual pumps. It seems the easiest to install is the stock one; the gt 500 dual pumps seem to have some fun wiring to add and may or may not need a tune. Also my car is such early built it doesn’t even have bolts to hold second fuel pump driver module. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'm just looking for some input on what type of replacement fuel pump I should get to fix the problem. I wish this would of happened when the was car was under warranty since it is a ford TSB issue. This just another on the long list of Ford TSB's I had to pay out pocket to get fixed.

thanks

Ford Racing makes a drop in module for your tank that can hold two fuel pumps. I have the same issue, and personally, it isn't worth it to me to even replace the pump unless it fails someday. If you're dead set on replacing the fuel pump, I'd just buy a replacement pump. Using a pump that flows too much fuel for your application can actually have adverse affects on performance, since the larger, higher flowing pumps unnecessarily heat up the fuel (which boils at less that 90 degrees). In regards to the forced induction, you could always go with Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump when you get a blower. It regulates voltage to the pump based on the required amount of fuel to adjust the quantity of fuel delivered to the rail. If I recall, it costs about $280 and requires only one wire, but can handle 500-700 horsepower while using a factory pump. Sorry, kind of a rant.