Fuel Pump ?'s How many GPH?

bad68coupe

Jul 18, 2006
Richardson, TX
I have a 68 coupe with a 302, performer RPM, 1406 Carb, and a COMP Xtreme Energy Retro-Fit XR264RF-HR Cam. I am not sure what size fuel pump i need for this application. It will be a street car mostly driven in city and highway with the occasional drag. How many GPH should i flow? What units do ya'll have?:SNSign:

• Sponsors (?)

The stock style mechanical pumps in good condition are usually good up until about 300hp.

From your engine description I think your probably OK with a stock style pump in good condition.

Is it really that much more complicated? and how many GPH should i flow?

I have a black pump if you want...Im local... converting to an electric pump is a paint because of running the fuel lines. The stock pump on the motor...you are going to put the elec in the back. Running new fuel lines is the best thing to do. I always used AN lines which is expensive

You sould be in the 6-8GPH range for a farly stock car..
if you go over 300hp I would move to about 9- 10 GPH.. I would change the lines to AN first then go with the pump...

see thats the thing i think that i will be right under 300 hp.

I have to run new fuel lines anyways and i am plannin on AN. How much should i need and what size?

Also what psi should i run at?

see thats the thing i think that i will be right under 300 hp.

I have to run new fuel lines anyways and i am plannin on AN. How much should i need and what size?

Also what psi should i run at?

6an is plenty...most people over kill on fuel lines thinking they need 8an / 1/2" lines. Aeromotive pumps flow up to 700hp (carb pumps) and use 3/8" fittings. You will want to run between 8-12psi

6an is plenty...most people over kill on fuel lines thinking they need 8an / 1/2" lines. Aeromotive pumps flow up to 700hp (carb pumps) and use 3/8" fittings. You will want to run between 8-12psi

For a carb, he'll need less pressure. 4-7 psi is plenty. 8-12 and he'll need to step it down with a regulator. I'd run a regulator regardless of what pump though with an electric.

For a carb, he'll need less pressure. 4-7 psi is plenty. 8-12 and he'll need to step it down with a regulator. I'd run a regulator regardless of what pump though with an electric.

Are there any electric pumps out there that are 4-7 psi?
If I went with the 8-12 pump would i regulate it to 4-7?
If i end up going mechanical can i still do an inline filter?
On an electric setup is the wiring difficult, cause the pump has to know somehow how much it needs to flow?
In the electrical setup does the filter go first?

Sorry i know there are alot of questions but I just want to do it the right way.
Thanks a ton guys!

On an electric setup is the wiring difficult, cause the pump has to know somehow how much it needs to flow?

Sorry i know there are alot of questions but I just want to do it the right way.
Thanks a ton guys!

man..when you get around to it, let me know, I can help ya out. Its not that hard, it really isnt. The hardest part is the price.

Summit makes great kits with a decent price. Its cheaper to buy the kit than it is to buy it all individually.

Here is the perfect setup for you
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-PUMPKIT7A&N=700+115&autoview=sku
sum-pumpkit7a.jpg

its a holley blue pump, regulator, lines, fittings and basically everything you need wrapped up in 1 kit. There will be 2 questions on installing the kit... how to tap into the fuel tank and how to connect the hose on the carb. If there are barb fittings, then you wont use the last couple AN fittings, just use a hose clamp. You will run a line on the suction side of the pump from the tank to the pump...I just connect the filter to the pump with a 3/8" pipe coupler then out of the filter towards the front of the car to the bottom of the regulator. From the regulator, choose your favorite side and you will use an 3/8" to -6an fitting into a fuel line to the carb. The kit has everything + some that you will need. To regulate pressure, you should buy a pressure gauge...it will mount to the regulator...or you can buy the carb feed lines with the regulator attached like this: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G3120&N=700+115&autoview=sku it has a 3/8" pipe inlet, so you can run an AN fitting straight into it (you will need a 3/8" to 6an fitting...which is included in the kit)

sum-g3120.jpg

wiring is pretty easy... you just need to run a switched hot out to the fuel pump..the ground can be done under the car with a short wire and an eyelet...

Attachments

• sum-pumpkit7a.jpg
    sum-pumpkit7a.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 161
  • sum-g3120.jpg
    sum-g3120.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 115
man..when you get around to it, let me know, I can help ya out. Its not that hard, it really isnt. The hardest part is the price.

Summit makes great kits with a decent price. Its cheaper to buy the kit than it is to buy it all individually.

Here is the perfect setup for you
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-PUMPKIT7A&N=700+115&autoview=sku
sum-pumpkit7a.jpg

its a holley blue pump, regulator, lines, fittings and basically everything you need wrapped up in 1 kit. There will be 2 questions on installing the kit... how to tap into the fuel tank and how to connect the hose on the carb. If there are barb fittings, then you wont use the last couple AN fittings, just use a hose clamp. You will run a line on the suction side of the pump from the tank to the pump...I just connect the filter to the pump with a 3/8" pipe coupler then out of the filter towards the front of the car to the bottom of the regulator. From the regulator, choose your favorite side and you will use an 3/8" to -6an fitting into a fuel line to the carb. The kit has everything + some that you will need. To regulate pressure, you should buy a pressure gauge...it will mount to the regulator...or you can buy the carb feed lines with the regulator attached like this: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM-G3120&N=700+115&autoview=sku it has a 3/8" pipe inlet, so you can run an AN fitting straight into it (you will need a 3/8" to 6an fitting...which is included in the kit)

sum-g3120.jpg

wiring is pretty easy... you just need to run a switched hot out to the fuel pump..the ground can be done under the car with a short wire and an eyelet...

I RECCOMEND THIS KIT.. MY FRIEND BOUGHT THIS FOR HIS CORONET WITH A 383 ENGINE HE RAN ABOUT 8-10 PSI ON HIS.. IT COMES WITH ALOT OF EXTRA TUBING..
GO WITH THE 3/8 LINE.... EVERYTHING IS IN THAT KIT TO DO THE INSTALL ALL YOU NEED EXTRA IS TEFLON TAPE and some other things thats all....

Attachments

• sum-pumpkit7a.jpg
    sum-pumpkit7a.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 152
  • sum-g3120.jpg
    sum-g3120.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 113

Thanks a ton guys!

1. Just use a regulator thats all you need.
2 If you have a fuel pressure guage you can regulate it very easy.
3 I dont know?
4 no just find a switch add that to a hot 12v thats all you need.
5a filter can go at anyplace you want it to go.. Make sure you get a High flow filter. I Like the Earl's high flow filters..

OK, some good advice has already been dealt, here's my 2¢.

Don't ever use braided hose for the full length of the car. Use solid tube, 3/8" (or whatever AN size that equates to) as much as possible.

Best practice is to also run a return line and a regulator with 3 fittings, supply, carb and return. Benefits: Excess pressure returns to the tank and fuel keeps circulating, virtually eliminating vapour lock. Keep the return line the same size as the supply line to minimise back-pressure.

Electric pumps MUST have a safety shutdown incase of an accident. Use an inertia cutoff switch or plumb the fuel pump relay thru the oil pressure switch (ie zero oil pressure turns off the fuel pump - you will need a jump switch to bypass this for startup)

I'd try to avoid any style of vane pump as they seem to be much noisier than the gerotor type.

And lastly, have a read of this page. Someone pointed me here a while ago it has a wealth of info.

:cheers:

What is the reason for going to an electric fuel pump? The requirements for your engine are well within the abilities of a mechanical fuel pump, unless fuel injection is in your near future? Mechanical pumps are reliable, cheaper, quieter and easier to plumb. If you do decide to go electric, you may want to research how loud the pump is before buying. Some of these things sound like small air compressors when they are running. My 2 cents ;-)