Fuel Pump/Sender Questions '06 GT

GOLDENPONY

Founding Member
Jan 23, 2002
LOVELAND, OHIO
I might be looking at a new sump/sender. When you buy a new pump from Ford, do you get the sender too? If I ran the car until the fuel gauge was almost empty, is that low enough to change these 2 components? Do I need that special wrench for the locking rings, or can I use like a brass punch? Does the pump & sender come with new O rings?
I've got the factory manual, it doesn't look like a tough job. Am I correct in this assumption? Anybody got any helpful advice here? Thanks in advance. :)

• Sponsors (?)

I have an 06GT and needed my stock pump replaced because of the fuel pump TSB. If you buy a pump from Ford, it is suppose to come with the new o-ring and lock ring (Ford dealer told me this). I had to order an o-ring and lock ring since I bought a '09 pump from someone that threw on a whipple blower and GT500 pumps.

You do not need the special tool. I used a couple of screw drivers with electrical tape around the tips. 3/4 of a tank is low enough, though I had much less. Not a hard job, but mine was easier since I was able to put the top down with my vert. I used a great write-up that was posted somewhere (mustang site). I saved it to a file. An extra set of hands when getting the lock ring on doesn't hurt...my wife even helped for this part.

BTW, you can get an '08 or '09 pump that someone removes for GT500 pumps super cheap. I paid $45 shipped. Just order a new lock ring and o-ring kit.

I would think yes, but verify with the dealer. Why not get one from a low mileage 08 or 09 that is going with Gt500 pumps.

Why are you changing the fp?

Thinking of changing fp because I have the problem where if I'm on cruise control then come out and try to accelerate, I get a hesitation. There is a TSB out on this. Just thinking of killing two birds while being in the tank.
I was at the dealership today. Funny thing is their parts breakdown seems to show a pump on either side. Not sure about that one.
I found an online Ford dealer that sells the pump and sender for like $196.
I'm still hoping the Techron will straighten things out and I won't have to do anything. :)

Not going to happen...you will be replacing the pump. Mine was the same problem. After a 25 mile cruise at 65 mph and stopping at a light, a hard take-off resulted in a drop in fuel pressure to <1 psi. Quick logging caught it. Car would take off hard (fuel in the line), fall flat when the pump I assume was pumping air (throw you forward), and then chirp the tires as the air bubble passed. Crappy ass pump is now gone. Not very good for the engine when you are just getting into boost with the Saleen blower.

There is suppose to be a pump on the passenger side. Only the driver side needs replacement. I would save a bunch of money and get a 08-09 pump. Your money though.

Running the Techron in the tank now. So far, it hasn't happened again. When this tank is gone, I will follow it with another full tank and another bottle of Techron. If it does happen again, it's getting a new pump/sender. :nice:

I ended up buying a new pump/sender from Silverstate Ford. Installed it today. The only stickey part was the write up I read said new pumps came with a new O ring, it didn't. I had to get one from a local dealer, $7. It was a pretty easy swap, probably the toughest part was getting the retainer ring back on, but I got it. Seems like everything went OK. Hopefully, this will take care of my fuel gauge & pump issues. :nice:

I called the Ford dealer I bought the new pump from. He said no, the pump did not come with the O ring & lock. The write up in the section with Taco Bill's stuff also said they were included, but they wern't. The lock wasn't a big deal - it can be re-used. I'm just glad I could get the O ring quickly. Probably a decision by a bean counter to not include the O ring. The O ring could more than likely have been re-used, but I felt better using a new one.