Fuel Pump Suggestions.

-Tomcat-

Aug 17, 2015
UK
So I believe I have traced the issue of low fuel pressure back to the electric pump and am looking to replace it.

Currently it has a small 12V electric pump situated under the car just behind the fuel tank. While looking for a replacement I have stumbled across mechanical pumps.

I have read up on both options but would like some actual advice from people who know before I go ahead with one or the other. I don't intend to race the car, though I will likely take it for "spirited" drives around the countryside.

So, what are your opinions on the two?

• Sponsors (?)

It all depends on how much power you are trying to make. I prefer mechanical pumps when possible. Under 500hp should be fine with a mechanical. It is hard to give much help w/o knowing more about your engine.

Not overly interested in power right now - more focused on getting it running!

That being said I think a previous owner was... Judging from the state of the car I can't imagine he was interested in much else. :D

I decided to go for a mechanical pump in the end but that idea was cut short when I couldn't find the slot where it should go in the engine. From what I can gather, the space for mounting them on my engine is on the timing chain/belt housing, not on the block itself. The housing usually also contains the hole for the dipstick which mine also does not have. Checking oil levels is going to be interesting! I'm guessing it has been changed at some point.

So I got an electric pump instead. Fuel pressure gauge reads about 5.5psi when idling and it starts and runs lovely now. :banana:

Does anyone know if I can use PTFE tape on a fuel line as a thread sealant? The pump came with its own filter that screws into it but I'm having a hard time finding a suitable thread sealant for it.

Thanks for your reply dude. Could I ask why you prefer mechanical pumps?