Fuel smell while driving...

a_k

Nov 12, 2004
Saratoga NY
Every once and a while I have been noticing a faint fuel smell while driving, and sometimes it can be pretty strong. My fuel pressure also drops off pretty quick after I turn the car off and when I start it cold with no fuel pressure even after priming the key a few times it idles very low and barley runs for about 5 seconds then is back to normal. I haven't been able to find where it is coming from but do you guys think replacing all of the o-rings around the injectors would be a good start?

Thanks

Adam

• Sponsors (?)

Adam, I dont want to move you away from thinking it's a leak. I'd also note that the FP thing could be normal, especially if you have an aftermarket FPR. For the smell, give your EVAP system a once over. The line to the purge solenoid rots, and it releases a nice odor. Also, the lines going into the charcoal cannister can rot and leak, also releasing a fuel smell. The CC is inside the passenger fender, directly under the antenna. Remove the wheel liner to access it.

Good luck.

Ditto with what Hissin posted. I had a leak in my hose going to the CC. Gas smell was horrible after a while.

I went searching and found the topic here and when I re-did my line to the CC the smell went away.

With fuel it would also be a good idea to double check all lines are tight/leak free. Also make sure your fuel rail is mounted tight...I have heard of leaks being caused from it being loose and a fire breaking out.

Alright cool, thanks guys. I had an adjustable FPR but I sold it and couldn't find my stock one again so I ended up with a generic replacement from Advance Auto. I'm going to check out all of those lines tomorrow and give everything a once over. I'll let you know how it goes:nice:

Check the seal where the filler tube goes into the tank, when it is leaking the smell will be strong sometime and not other times because of the amount of turning you do to push fuel over the seal. If you want a FPR that is good at not bleeding off fuel pressure get a Kirban, they work great. just my .02

Thanks a bunch guys you nailed it right on. It was the line going to the charcoal canister, it was in horrible shape. I did a search before I posted and saw that but thought it must have been something else because of the dropping fuel pressure. Thanks again now I can drive without getting a head ache...:nice: Next project is my rear main seal:notnice::notnice:

When mine went bad I failed emmisions. My hc was 4 times the limit on the rollers. I went to a friends shop and when he looked at the readings he said that their equipment must be wrong. If it was right my car should be blowing black smoke.