Fuel Starvation Problem

I have a strange fuel starvation problem which so far has eluded me. I am running a 331 D.S.S. engine with AFR 185's and a Holley Street Avenger 670. The problem occurs when there is less than half a tank of fuel. The car basically runs out of gas when the level reaches this point. I restart it and it runs for a little while then it shuts off again. This has caused me great stress as it has happened while going 70MPH up a hill on the freeway in condensed traffic. I have replaced the fuel pickup in the tank as it was covered with gum and varnish. I put on a new fuel cap and made sure that the tank was properly vented. I even replaced the fuel pump to make sure. The problem is still there. I can be on flat ground or on an incline and it will do it regardless of the speed I am travelling. My timing is set at 12 and the float level is correct. Also, the car seems to slightly buck when going up a hill regardless of fuel level. The car has never quit when there was more than half a tank of fuel. It seems to get worse the lower the fuel level gets. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really stumped and frustrated right now. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Cabige said:
So when this happens, all you have to do it put more fuel in to correct it?

Yes, but going to the gas station every 100 miles kinda sucks you know. I had to drive from San Fransico to Seattle this past summer and I was filling up every 150 miles or so. I just want to fix the problem for good.

1BAD89GT said:
what kind of pump is it?stock fuel tank and lines? How is your fuel system setup...need more info.

I have stock fuel pump now but before I had a high-flo one from Carter. The fuel lines are stock and the tank is stock. I had changed from a stock 1982 5.0 to the 331 listed on my signature. The problem was occuring before as well. Just not to the extent as it is now. Could the fuel tank cause this problem? It seems to be the only thing that is the same in both cases. All of the parts have been changed and the problem is still there.

fm82gt50 said:
I have stock fuel pump now but before I had a high-flo one from Carter. The fuel lines are stock and the tank is stock. I had changed from a stock 1982 5.0 to the 331 listed on my signature. The problem was occuring before as well. Just not to the extent as it is now. Could the fuel tank cause this problem? It seems to be the only thing that is the same in both cases. All of the parts have been changed and the problem is still there.

When you changed the fuel pickup in tank did you change the fuel filter?

im not a carb guy, but dont u need a fuel pump meant for a carbed engine..??..Fued systems are easy, your problem sounds like something obvious. I wouldnt be running the stock pump on a 331 in the first place, and im willing to bet that half the problem. I think that if u sumped your tank and ran the proper pump your problem would go away....my theary on fuel systems..."GRAVITY works the best"