fuel system help needed

wmrdalydvm

Dec 10, 2008
Hi all-I'm new to this forum and wanted to see if I could get some help here from somepone who knows the Mustang well. I am restoring a 49 Ford Convertible but with many mods--one of which is replacing the old Flathead with a 4.6L engine from a 2006 GT. I have a ton of questions about just how I am going to make this work, but I'll start here. I am planning to use the original EEC that came with the engine. My understanding (limited) is that the powertrain control module and the fuel pump drive module work to change the rpm of the fuel pump to maintain fuel pressure at about 40 psi in the returnless system. The question is--is this the only option? Can I install an in-line fuel pump--not in the tank, and a fuel pressure regulator that will keep the fuel pressure in the ~40 PSI range. I'm just not sure whether the EEC will function without the necessary inputs
any help is greatly appreciated
Bill

• Sponsors (?)

The fuel pressure is not held constant. The way I understand it is that the fuel flow into the cylinders is regulated by both fuel pressure and injector duty cycle. You can buy aftermarket fuel pump systems and wiring harness/driver modules for these engines - including the dual fuel pump kit from Ford Racing.