Fuel System PROBLEM

telmd

Jan 14, 2004
Jville, FL
Have a 94 3.8 5 spd...

Car started spraying white smoke out of the exhaust and getting very poor gas mileage on my way back from an out of town trip(had to stop and fill up every 1.5-2.0 hrs running 70-75mph). When I got home I checked all the plugs and found that the #2 plug was only in finger tight(no wrench needed to remove). All the plugs were fine except for this one which was fouled heavily. Replaced all plugs and vehicle still does the same thing. Checked all plugs again and again this one is now fouled with fuel. Also fuel is leaking out of the exhaust system...the weep hole on the muffer.... if i let it sit for awhile and start it runs fine for a minute or two then fouls back out and starts smoking.

Wondering what could be the problem. I checked the spark coming off the coil pack and it is firing from the pack all the way to the plug. Thinking it could be a stuck open injector on that cylinder but wanted to check here and see if anyone else has ever had that problem...

Thanks in advance,
te

• Sponsors (?)

Def. Not a blown Head Gasket..... Heavy fuel smell in the exhaust also lots of fuel coming out of the exhaust unburned along with #2 plug becoming fuel fouled. Thought it might be a stuck open injector but before replacing I tested the signal going into the injector to see if it was pulsing with a Noid Injector test light. When testing the plug for that injector the light stays lit(doesnt pulse), if i test the plug for the injector next to it it pulses. What could cause that injector to not be pulsing like it should?????

the injector is probably just broken. I would replace it and see what happens. But it does sound like a blown head gasket, but hopefully it is just the injector. My head gaskets went on my old t-bird, that sucked. But then again if you dont have any temperature problems with your car then it wouldnt be the head gaskets, so i think you are right..... i think it is the injector.

Positive it's not a blown head gasket. The reason I say that is because i don't think a head gasket is going to cause the car the constant feed gas to one injector. That being said I have no other clue what it could be. Thought it might be fuel regulator, but that would effect every cylinder and wouldn't be just one. Thought injector might be stuck open but doubting that now(could still be) but the injector is only going to do what it's told and right now for some reason it's being told to feed gas constant and not pulse. Any other thoughts.

BTW, positive shooting unburnt gas through the exhaust is not good....LOL