Fuel tank dropping problem

Ok, got all that stuff figured out now. Thanks guys.

That one last thing is getting the retainer ring loose. I've busted a few pieces of wood trying to get it going counterclockwise, where am I supposed to be hitting it? :shrug:

Pic attached.

• Sponsors (?)

Damn, that's what I've been doing. Would letting some lubricant soak in help at all? I've been whackin' this thing for a while and it won't budge. I put a bunch of dents in some wood and cracked a couple right in half already. Runnin outta wood blocks!

I had the same problem using a piece of wood. You need something hard, what I did was used a socket type screwdriver and rapped the socket part with a rag and used that just re-positioning the rag around the tip makin sure there was no metal-metal contact. Maybe it's the pic but did you chip a piece off that harness? Just be carefull if you're gonna do this method. I guess a brass punch would be handy but if you can find something hard and not brittle then use it, just make sure you don't get any sparks! Good luck.

I've gotta go to the store this afternoon anyway so I might as well try to find one of those brass punches. Ten bucks says I go to 5 stores and have no luck...like usual :mad:

Hey guys, I got it out and everything is going well. I wasn't able to find the darn tool so I just bought a brass pipe coupler and bashed away. It worked with a couple hits and I was on my way. :nice:

I made the new assembly last night and am ready to drop it in tonight. Let's hope I didn't mess anything up anywhere. It all looks good but given the luck I've had in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if I was doing it all over again tonight.

Man, I feel for you. I've changed mine out a couple of times with the help of a mechanic friend of mine who knows what he's doing and a lift. Also it was summer, so that made it even better. I wouldn't want to do it by myself. Seems like fishing the old pump out and fishing the new one in was one of the trickiest things about it. One thing I do remember and must warn you... make sure that the "sock" at the bottom of the pump is on real good and tight. Mine came off inside the tank the first time around and caused awful problems. The car would crank up fine and get down the road, then the sock would float around and clog the gas from flowing out. The car would start missing and bucking.... it would hardly go at all.
Good luck with it, hope you get it fixed! :nice:

Yep, I noticed that that would be a bitch to be able to get back if it fell off. It's on there really good!

On the inside of the tank, is it all hollow or is it like a maze? Just wondering how tricky the re-install of the assembly will be. I didn't have much trouble getting it out, it only seemed that the upper bracket was just getting caught on the edges of the hole for it, and I had to wiggle it around because of that only.

Took me forever but I finally got back to my job.

Upon installing the fuel pump, the only way I was able to get it back in was by putting the fuel filter in what looks like a metal box that's inside the tank. I was only able to peer through the open hole on the side. Anyway, is the filter supposed to go in that area? Is it even a box or is it just a piece of metal that is kind of like a barrier for some reason?

I just want to be sure that this is going to work with no problems ;)

Thanks!