Fuel tank/pump/line overhaul

Therian

The Highlander
Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Waterloo, Ontario
For a number of reasons, I want to drop the tank, and do some maintenance. Among these reasons:

- I believe I have a rusty filler neck (that sounds dirty)
- I am positive I have a hole rusted in my trunk on the driver side (only about an inch hole, but the infected area is about 4x4 inches
- Gas tank and straps have seen better days (tank needs to be repainted, straps need to be replaced)
- I'd like to upgrade to a 190 or 255lph fuel pump for future upgrades
- I have a pretty overbearing gas smell coming from the trunk, so I think some seals are leaking

So, I plan to drop the tank, and do all the required maintenance.

I know I'm going to replace the straps and the fuel pump (and probably the filler neck, depending on condition), but what else would need to be replaced? Fuel lines? What about the misc. gaskets?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Good time to swap out the fuel filter if it's been a while.

There is an o-ring around the access hole for the fuel pump - most pumps come with the ring - be sure to replace it and use some grease so that it does not bind when you reinstall the pump.

The fuel filler neck grommet at the tank is a huge leak point on our cars. This may be a Ford only part?

Time for a new tank if it's rusting? I replaced the tank etc on my Mach 1 a few years back for that very reason.

Wes

Good time to swap out the fuel filter if it's been a while.

There is an o-ring around the access hole for the fuel pump - most pumps come with the ring - be sure to replace it and use some grease so that it does not bind when you reinstall the pump.

The fuel filler neck grommet at the tank is a huge leak point on our cars. This may be a Ford only part?

Time for a new tank if it's rusting? I replaced the tank etc on my Mach 1 a few years back for that very reason.

Wes

Thanks for the info Wes. I guess I won't know if I need a new tank until I drop it and see where the damage is.

Let me know if and where you find the straps for the tank. When I dropped mine 2 years ago, I looked for them and could not find them anywhere.
Paul

Paul,

this was posted a couple days ago: http://www.glennsperformance.com/index.php?dressup

Until I saw it, I was in the same boat as far as not knowing where to get new straps.