Fun with Porsches, aka "WTF you got in that thing?"

MFE92

10 Year Member
Aug 25, 2010
Phoenix
I was accepted to run a track day with the local Porsche Club of America chapter despite not owning a Porsche. I used to instruct for the KC chapter, that ruffled some feathers back then LOL. Anyway, take this car, which is an '84 911 Targa with a hot-rodded 3.4 liter engine:

Ruby-a quick walkaround prior to her last C&C - YouTube

Put it behind me, have it driven by an honest to god race car driver, and you get this:

AMP 3_10_12 Run 4 Front Edit Following Fraser.mov - YouTube

Here's my version of some of the other sessions, but I don't have any from the session captured above because my video card was full by then and I didn't know it. But there's some...ahh..."interesting" events on this one. AMP PCA 3-10-12.wmv - YouTube

• Sponsors (?)

That guy couldn't have run you down to save his life. You're doing the Mustang road race community proud, man. :nice:

I'm not so sure, he was learning the track and the car (he'd only bought it a week earlier) and gaining on me toward the end. He had a GPS-based predictive lap-timer onboard that told him if he strung together his best segments he'd have a 1:56-something. The best time I've ever gotten out there, near as I can tell from the timers on my video editing software, is a 1:57-something, and most of those laps in his video seem to be in the 1:58's. And I think my tires were stickier than his. Fun matchup for sure.

Looked like he was tight, the Porsche was pushing the front. He couldn't mash until it was straight. The V8 in the straight away's showed the torque.

Haha, the white Porsche thought he was a bad ass, passed the Mustang then wiped in the dirt, classic.

Looked like he was tight, the Porsche was pushing the front. He couldn't mash until it was straight. The V8 in the straight away's showed the torque.

Haha, the white Porsche thought he was a bad ass, passed the Mustang then wiped in the dirt, classic.

Yeah, I lol'd at that!

You guys beat me to it, but... The white 911 passing you and forgetting there's a reason you slow down in the curves :rlaugh: . I hope you informed the 928 driver he was #1 in your book, or at least tapped your brake lights a couple times to the beat of " neener neener boo boo".

Yeah, the 928 driver was a f-ing menace, and he got bounced out of that run group after that session. The group chief used it as a learning exercise, "it doesn't matter if you're fast in the straights, if you have a conga line backing up behind you, people are faster than you in the corners, let them by". So he put him in a less experienced group to get some practice. A few of us pointed out that he probably had no idea what was behind him because he never looked at his mirrors, and if they don't solve that for him, it won't matter what group they put him in. Point was taken.

As for the off track exercise, I went off in the exact same place as the white porsche last time I was out there, which is the first scene in this video