Functional Quarter Window Scoops!

anthony05gt

Mar 18, 2006
Maryland
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've spent the last 6 weeks fabricating functional c-pillar scoops for my car. They are made of aluminum w/stainless steel hardware with a double weather seal that is fully adjustable. In other words, I can adjust the seal tension from loose to normal to so tight that you can't even slide the vent open.

I like the look of c-pillar scoops, but do not like the idea of fake crap on the car, so I thought about just how to go about this design for a few months before beginning any work. Right after Christmas I bought half a sheet of 1/8'' aluminum and began the adventure.

I have no plans to produce these parts for retail sale to the public. What you will see is a ONE-OFF set for my car. I would like nothing other than to be able to sell a crap load of these things, but I have about 15 full days of work wrapped up in this set. It would probably take me 10-12 days to produce another set which would require a huge asking price, not to mention the fact that I just don't have the time to mess with it or the proper facilities to bang these things out at a quicker pace which would result in a more reasonable price.

What I have here is basically an 1/8'' aluminum panel that replaces the glass and is glued in with windshield polyurethane glue. That panel has a vent system which I designed and is fully adjustable to keep water and noise out of the car's interior. The outer scoop section which is painted to match the car is welded to the panel that replaces the glass. The original glass was not flat, it has a convex shape which is in keeping with the body of the car, so I had to make the aluminum match that contour.

I hope that this project will inspire the big aftermarket companies to get off of their asses and follow my lead and give the Mustang croud something other than the phony crap that attaches with 2-sided tape. If they could make them in the 60's, they sure as hell can do it now.

Thanks for checking this thread out and feel free to offer your feedback whether it's positive or negative.

PATENT PENDING

scoop1.jpg

paintedscoops5.jpg

paintedscoops.jpg

scoop2.jpg

paintedscoops4.jpg

paintedscoops2.jpg

Attachments

• paintedscoops.jpg
    paintedscoops.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 343
  • paintedscoops5.jpg
    paintedscoops5.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 252
  • scoop1.jpg
    scoop1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 295
  • paintedscoops4.jpg
    paintedscoops4.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 318
  • scoop2.jpg
    scoop2.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 391
  • paintedscoops2.jpg
    paintedscoops2.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 256
  • Sponsors (?)

If perhaps you could present your idea to any of your bank/lending institutions ? they just might think your really on to something here and be willing to finance and help get you started in going mass production ? it's by far definitely the best original design I've seen for our S-197 Stang's yet..I'd say if there's anyway that you might be willing to reconsider ? give it a shot and go for it.. :shrug:

Very, VERY nice fabrication, and nicely excecuted. But, I personally don't see the point. I rarely have people in the back seat, and this isn't a race car that needs the ventilation. But that's just my $0.02.

Killer job though, looks really nice! I wish my metal skills were that good. Everything I fabricate works well, but looks like a retarded monkey made it....

Very, VERY nice fabrication, and nicely excecuted. But, I personally don't see the point. I rarely have people in the back seat, and this isn't a race car that needs the ventilation. But that's just my $0.02.

Killer job though, looks really nice! I wish my metal skills were that good. Everything I fabricate works well, but looks like a retarded monkey made it....

But you do see the point for phony BS stick on scoops? If you read my original post you would see that I said I like the scoop look, but hate the fake junk that's available. I'll probably never open the vents myself, but at least they are real. That's the point.

Bigcat, the screen mesh is stainless steel and comes in 4'x8' sheets. A friend who is maintenance supervisor at Clorox Mfg. Gave me a real nice size piece of it. Bigcat and I had discussed the possibility of making these things out of hand laid fiberglass, but I soon after figured I should stick with metal because I've worked with different metals from welding to fabrication to major repairs. Why not do something I'm used to?

That's aluminum not stainless. I considered painting the whole thing, but after careful consideration I decided I wanted the bare aluminum. Believe me, they do not look out of place in person. Those that have seen them up close all agree that the bare metal look is what they like the best about them.

Those Silverhorse Racing louvers do look real nice, but that's just another set of fake crap that you can add to the list of rejects. That is my honest opinion. If they could make real functional vents in the 60's, they sure as hell should do it now. Don't get me wrong, I just feel strongly about the fake stuff.

I stand corrected about the aluminum.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about the Silverhorse luovers.
They are anything but fake, and in a class of their own.

As far as vents, yes, yours are the best looking I've seen, but that's because no one makes them.
Perhaps if a few people in addition to yourself make their voices heard, someone will craft them.
But no one is going to make a product they don't think they have a market for.

I personally don't like the idea, but I respect your view on them.

And while I don't like the idea, I do think you've done a great job on them.

It's all good.

Looks great, and way to go. I, too, have to say I think they'd look better all black, but that's personal opinion. I have to respect your position.

Personally, I just don't see why something that looks good has to be functional. There's just not really a use for things like that anymore except for full-blown race cars. Just because something has no use, doesn't mean it can't look good.

Anyway, I applaud you on a job well done.