G-force T-5 - TKO's Opinions

95conv5.0 said:
well good luck on getting any g-force parts right now, g-force ran out of 3rd gears so all there kits are on back order for a month or so,

Did you try www.astroperformance.com?

Based on conversations I had with them, the main G-Force unit is good to 550hp 6800-7000rpm shift points (3200lb car). The upgraded mainshaft ups the hp to 650 (3400lb car) with shift points being the same for helical cut syncro version.

• Sponsors (?)

zenboy99 said:
Did you try www.astroperformance.com?

Based on conversations I had with them, the main G-Force unit is good to 550hp 6800-7000rpm shift points (3200lb car). The upgraded mainshaft ups the hp to 650 (3400lb car) with shift points being the same for helical cut syncro version.

Unless Astro has them sitting on a shelf, how can they have them of gforce themselves dont?

And whats up with the different mainshafts? There are 2 different upgrades....

"There are simply too many variables to consider when trying to figure out how much power or torque a transmission will take in a particular application. Generally, it can be assumed that with the available upgraded mainshaft, the G-Force T-5 kit will handle roughly 600 hp or 500 ft-lb. or torque in a 3300 lb. vehicle running drag radials at the track"

That is directly from the G-force site. And they dont say rwhp so it must be flywheel.

WhiteDevil said:
"There are simply too many variables to consider when trying to figure out how much power or torque a transmission will take in a particular application. Generally, it can be assumed that with the available upgraded mainshaft, the G-Force T-5 kit will handle roughly 600 hp or 500 ft-lb. or torque in a 3300 lb. vehicle running drag radials at the track"

That is directly from the G-force site. And they dont say rwhp so it must be flywheel.

Yea i was just reading that...definately not as clear as i would like it to be. So, if i get the "cheaper" of the 2 options for the upgrade,ASTM 9310 High Nickel Steel $335.00, will i have the 600hp level? Or do i have to upgrade all the way up to the big bad boy,ASTM 4340-300M Thru Hard Premium Alloy $495.00 , for that? Upgraded Mainshafts (not included with gear kits)

And im pretty sure it would be flywheel HP....as thats what the tranny sees right? Wouldnt make sense to rate it at the wheels...as that HP is what gets through the tranny...not necessarily what the tranny has to work with. I dunno.....

Yes Astro generally does have alot of units sitting on the shelves.

Tony from Astro performance gave me those numbers. He said they were based on what they had been seeing in real world applications over the years. I take it alot of this is very subjective, and can vary with different combo's.

I did the g-force kit 2 yrs ago for about $1400-1450 (includes new 26-spline clutch disc and tranny rebuild). Prices have probably changed since then. But I put about 10k miles on the car and have not had a problem with it yet. It does whine but its not bad. If you have an O/R exhaust you wont notice it. My car makes about 350 rwhp sae corrected and I do shift hard. However I have only run 255/40/17 kumho 712's on the car so I cant really say I have stressed the tranny much. But, I have autocrossed the car and road raced it (if that counts for anything) in these last two years and its holding up fine. I dont really plan on making more hp so I think I'm straight. Oh and I'm still using my stock mainshaft and no tranny case mods. Never driven a tko car so I cant give you a comparison. If you have any more questions lemme know. -Robin:SNSign:

well me and tony have been chatting back and forth alot and yes astro is out, but they just made a new kit for our cars theres calling it the "super t-5" this is what he told me

Tony Sarvis <[email protected]> wrote:

Our G-Force Gear Kits are currently on Back-Order due to G-Force running out of 3rd M/S Gears. With all of the current Back-Orders from G-Force, we decided to build our very own Gear Kit, called the “Super T-5”! Gear Kit. Both Gear Kits are very similar, just that ours has an Actual Performance 1st M/S Gear. G-Force “copies” the 1st M/S Gear from the 2.95 “World Class” T-5 from Motorsports. Our Gear Kit has a “Helical Angle”, and retains the Factory Synchronizer Rings and Sliders. Basically the exact same as a G-Force T-5 Helical Cut Synchronized Gear Kit, just with a Better 1st Gear. The “Super T-5” Gear Kit is sold separately or as an assembled T-5. The Gear Kit is capable of handling up to 650HP @ 525 Ft. Lbs. of Torque. Now, of course that rating is not just a matter of replacing 1st-4th Gears with the new gear kit. In order for a T-5 to take that kind of Power/Torque, an Upgraded 9310 Alloy Output Sh! aft is needed along with a H/D Cluster Support Plate for the Rear Part of the Main Housing. Please supply the Power/Torque you plan to make, so that I can get a better idea of what will be needed.

If you are only making 500-550HP at around 400 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, all you would need would be just the Gear Kit. The Factory Output Shaft and Casing are capable of handling this kind of power without any other performance upgrades. Please note when you convert over to either a G-Force or “Super T-5” Gear Kit, you will need to change your Clutch from a 1! 0 Spline to a 26 Spline. All other components are compatible.
and the pricing

-Astro Performance “Super T-5” Gear Kit $1,049.00

Includes Cluster Gear, 26 Spline Input Shaft, 1st Gear, 2nd Gear, and 3rd Gear.

The above kits do not include Bearings, Synchronizer Rings, Seals, or any other Hard Parts. We have everything needed to build a Performance T-5. So if you plan on doing the transmission yourself, don’t hesitate to call us with any other questions/concerns regarding pricing and availability on T-5 Components!

Please note that if you install any one of the two gear kits into the Factory T-5 Casing and reuse the Factory Output Shaft, the transmission will be capable of supporting 550HP @ 400 Ft. Lbs. of Torque. If you need more out of the T-5, you may want to consider the following Output Shaft as an “Upgrade”. By using this Output Shaft, the Transmission will then be rated at 650HP @ 500 Ft. Lbs. of Torque.

-9310 Alloy Output Shaft $335.00

Output Shaft made of better “Alloy” Steel. Still retains factory Slip Yoke/Driveshaft (28 Spline).

Currently G-Force is out of 3rd Gears and ¾ Cluster Sleeves to complete their Gear Kits. Our “Super T-5” Gear Kit will be on the shelf by the end of February. Let me know if you have any further questions.

sold my tranny going TKO it is economical from what i understood to go with the G-force keeping the HP on or under 400 it will work great but if you intend to push the envelope it you have to swap main shafts and that will cost as much as the tko swap so since I plan on achieving the numbers into 450-480 with a good clutch it might be a better idea to run TKO

go-stang5.0 said:
Oh and the geforce kit has a 2.95-2.97 first gear so its the same (in that sense) as the super t-5 kit.
this was taken from d&d's website, however they do not deal in gforce parts

Q. Why won't the 2.95 Transmission work in my 1994 or 1995 car ?

A. The input shaft's in the 94-95 cars is 5/8 longer. An input was never made for the the 94-95 cars with a 2.95 first gear.

bimmertech said:
this was taken from d&d's website, however they do not deal in gforce parts

Q. Why won't the 2.95 Transmission work in my 1994 or 1995 car ?

A. The input shaft's in the 94-95 cars is 5/8 longer. An input was never made for the the 94-95 cars with a 2.95 first gear.

Thats why u run the fox bellhousing:shrug:

nmcgrawj said:
Thats why u run the fox bellhousing:shrug:

but then you have to get a fork, mod cross-member, d/s spacer, and crappier shifter location--none are an option for me.

by the time that is all said and done you coulda had a t56--with a 2.95 first gear.

basically i feel that if you are gonna go to a bunch of trouble, i'll be damned if it's only gonna be for 5 gears.

bimmertech said:
but then you have to get a fork, mod cross-member, d/s spacer, and crappier shifter location--none are an option for me.

by the time that is all said and done you coulda had a t56--with a 2.95 first gear.

basically i feel that if you are gonna go to a bunch of trouble, i'll be damned if it's only gonna be for 5 gears.

And how much cheaper is the 5-speed gonna be to a 6? Cross member on our cars doesnt need to be modded...especially with the correct tranny mount. I dont notice a big difference in shifter location...are your arms short or long? I didnt notice it was moved 5/8" up...and even if it does, im sure there is a handle out there somewhere that covers some of it up. DS spacer...yea...whoopty do. Who is that hurting?

The t56 has that gear...ok...so do these trannies we are talking about. Where is the advantage? What good does 6 gears do? I forget, but i think you might be into autox'ing....maybe the extra gear is helpful then? Either or, the regular 6 speeds over drives are just as low as a tko or gforce. The only good thing in 6 speeds in my eyes doesnt come until u get the viper spec and well, if u are considering that, its a whole nother league in terms of $$$$$$$$.

nmcgrawj said:
What good does 6 gears do? I forget, but i think you might be into autox'ing

i am into top speed. the t56 allows you to run a bit more rear gear and still have a top end. with the 5 speeds you either gear real tall(2.73) and use a .78 5th or gear real short(3.73) run a regular 5th gear and have to use a small shot of squeeze to get past the rpm drop. either way sucks, the second being the more dangerous--just ask rick doria where his haus of pizza vette is.

do you ever race on the highway? if you do chances are your race is over around 125 due to you having to shift into 5th--sucks.

all the other stuff is just minor crap i would rather not deal with. i had to buy an aftermarket(upr) handle to keep my shifter off the console as it is, any more change would just be unacceptable. d/s spacer is cheap, but at high speeds may be the root cause of vibrations and improper slip yolk engagement.

frankly i don't feel the 2.95 is all that big a deal as i don't drag race and the 1-2 split is the least of my worries. my concern lies in the overdrives.

i am not sayin the 5speeds suck, just not my bag. no need to get wound up about it.:cheers:

bimmertech said:
i am into top speed. the t56 allows you to run a bit more rear gear and still have a top end. with the 5 speeds you either gear real tall(2.73) and use a .78 5th or gear real short(3.73) run a regular 5th gear and have to use a small shot of squeeze to get past the rpm drop. either way sucks, the second being the more dangerous--just ask rick doria where his haus of pizza vette is.

do you ever race on the highway? if you do chances are your race is over around 125 due to you having to shift into 5th--sucks.

all the other stuff is just minor crap i would rather not deal with. i had to buy an aftermarket(upr) handle to keep my shifter off the console as it is, any more change would just be unacceptable. d/s spacer is cheap, but at high speeds may be the root cause of vibrations and improper slip yolk engagement.

frankly i don't feel the 2.95 is all that big a deal as i don't drag race and the 1-2 split is the least of my worries. my concern lies in the overdrives.

i am not sayin the 5speeds suck, just not my bag. no need to get wound up about it.:cheers:

ohhh nooooooooooo, no one is gettin wound up about it:p

Im a little confused though.....g-force has a .59 here the TKO is a .62 i think over drive. The regular 6-speed is somewhere in between that and the viper is a .5. Are you talking about a 6speed 5th gear actually still being useable?

And no, i dont race on the highway. I feel a little unsafe on the highways around here...plus high speeds is not my thing.

nmcgrawj said:
Im a little confused though.....g-force has a .59 here the TKO is a .62 i think over drive. The regular 6-speed is somewhere in between that and the viper is a .5. Are you talking about a 6speed 5th gear actually still being useable?

the regular T56(f that viper crap) has a .80 5th gear. this means you can actually still gain speed when you shift into it as the rpm drop is not enough to drop you out of your power band. with a .62 or .59 your rpm drop is so large that you may actually lose speed as the mounting air loads are to large to overcome with your engines power in that rpm range--this is why some guys run a top gear small nitrous shot.

you may have enough gear and power to go 250mph, but in the same car you may not have enough to go 180. it takes a whole lot more than just a bunch of power to go fast, it has to make power in the right rpm range for your gearing.

long story short, the 5th gear is still usable to race with--not just to cruise. and you can even race with 6th gear and still cruise.

bimmertech said:
the regular T56(f that viper crap) has a .80 5th gear. this means you can actually still gain speed when you shift into it as the rpm drop is not enough to drop you out of your power band. with a .62 or .59 your rpm drop is so large that you may actually lose speed as the mounting air loads are to large to overcome with your engines power in that rpm range--this is why some guys run a top gear small nitrous shot.

you may have enough gear and power to go 250mph, but in the same car you may not have enough to go 180. it takes a whole lot more than just a bunch of power to go fast, it has to make power in the right rpm range for your gearing.

long story short, the 5th gear is still usable to race with--not just to cruise. and you can even race with 6th gear and still cruise.

Cool, i thought u were talking about that. I was comparing 5th gear in 5speeds to 6th gear in 6speeds.

Now i agree with ya:nice: