gas leaks between ruel rail and injectors...

beaver2489

Founding Member
Feb 26, 2002
st. joseph missouri
88 gt conv. 5speed *stock*-
I have fuel leaking out where the injectors connect to the fuel rail. The guy I bought the car from said he had the O-rings on all the injectors replaced. If they are leaking again could my fuel pressure regulator be bad letting too much pressure by, which is blowing the O-rings when I slam the gas? So what all do I need to fix this? The car surges at idle sometimes, but revving will save it from dieing. Also in the cold mornings I have to let the engine warm up before taking off or it dies on me when I let off the clutch. It needs new O2 sensors, and a full tune up still so some of that might be the problem there. I did just replace the fuel filter.

• Sponsors (?)

Sounds like one of the injectors is not in the rail far enough. Try unbolting the rail from the side of the intake (2 bolts) and pushing the rail down. Then start the car and rev it by hand to see where it is leaking from if it still leaking.

The regulator also has a O ring where it meets the rail. This may be leaking.

The regulator would not be pushing to much as 5.0s have a return style fuel system and what it dosnt use it sends back to the tank.

Look carefully, there is a little weep hole in the plastic (colored) part of the injector. If the gas is coming out there, the injectors are bad. There will be a clean spot where the fuel is actually leaking. The 88 model year seems to be notorious for bad injectors. Mine had that prob. Put in FRRP injectors, smooth sailing. The parts store ones caused me more probs. :notnice: