Gas mileage...shifting...etc

TrevX

Oct 31, 2004
Texas
Ok...when I drive around I usually shift around 2,500grand when I'm just driving....but some people say it wastes alot more gas doing this...what should I shift at when I'm doing normal driving? Also what is the optimal shift point for when racing? I usually go all the way to the redline then slam to 2nd and so forth through all the gears....but someone is also telling me by letting it rev that high I am losing hp being put to the ground...?

• Sponsors (?)

TrevX said:
Ok...when I drive around I usually shift around 2,500grand when I'm just driving....but some people say it wastes alot more gas doing this...what should I shift at when I'm doing normal driving? Also what is the optimal shift point for when racing? I usually go all the way to the redline then slam to 2nd and so forth through all the gears....but someone is also telling me by letting it rev that high I am losing hp being put to the ground...?
2,500 grand= 2,500,000 RPM :eek: wow, is that like a Honda S2000 or sumtin? :nice:
-Just messin with ya. 2,500 is a pretty good RPM to shift at for normal driving. When you race,i would say shift at 5500, buit some argue and say to shift alot higher while others state that you do nothing but lose HP after 5200rpm. Go to the track and try different methods, thats what i plan to do :shrug:

I think it all depends on the car, saving gas I shift at 2k after first, or start in 2nd when the grounds wet or snowy....

Racing I go to 5400 or so, at least my dyno sheet shows all my power in the 6k range

If you look in your owners manual it will tell you the best time to shift to get the best gas mileage. 2K is what my ownes manual says to shift at to get the best gas mileage. As far as racing only way to know for sure is get a dyno and see when your power dies out, but I'm sure somebody with similar mods could tell u when to.

Ive got 4.10's in my car and tend to shift around 3000 rpm in normal traffic. When things are moving slow I shift around 2,200 to 2,500 rpm. Anything lower than that seems to slow, and has the car too far out of its power range. I noticed that alot of it depends on how rapidly you depress the accelerator as well. If your just sort of creeping along (as to not hit the slow moving car in fron of you) you can shift at pretty low rpms. I tend to try and get the car into 4th when I drive in town, but in traffic I usually find myself hanging in 3rd. On my drive to work there is a lot of stop and go but I still find myself getting between 16 and 17 mpg (last tank I got 17 mpg)

how do you figure your gas mileage? Someone told me you fill it up all the way then reset your mileage on your trip meter...and when you hit empty how do you figure out how much gas mileage u get?