Gas pedal mod

Skud

Sep 10, 2003
Saskatchewan
Ok, so lately I've been getting pissed off that my stang has no power and seems to be dogging alot.

So, last night I decided to do something about it. I did the usual routing stuff..

Plugs.. Look good
Air Filter.. Yup.. It's ok.

Just for $hits and giggles I took off the air inlet tube from the filter to the throttle body and started playing around with the throttle cable and stuff..

Then I got thinking about how it seems like I have to floor it to get any power. So, I got out my trusty brick and put it on the gas pedal (The car was off you tools!! :D ). Then I walked around to the throttle body and guess what?? The throttle plate was only about 1/2 open!!?? :bang:

I dunno if the cable is stretched or if the stop on the cable has gotten pushed back, or what, but it wasn't open more than 1/2.

So, I cut the end off one of those white bic pens, cut a slit down the middle and put it in the space between the cable stop and gas pedal. Used a couple of zip ties to hold it on, and now the gas pedal is almost level with the brake pedal. Also, the floor no longer stops the gas pedal, it's the throttle body that limits how far down I can push the gas..

I think I'm going to find a more permanent solution though. I'm going to replace the bic pen with a metal peice, and use hose clamps instead. Or even one of those cable clamps..

So, yeah.. 20 minutes and I have my power back, and maybe even more than I had to start out with!!

Riley

• Sponsors (?)

I did this mod to mine mainly because I hated having to lift my entire foot to go from the gas pedal to the brake pedal. It also lets me sit a little farther back. I used two 1/2" rubber plugs, slit down the center, and 4 zip ties. I also did this mod to my 96 Ford Ranger but all I used were 4 zip ties.

I'm thinking of using something that I can easily remove and install. I'd like to be able to remove it to keep my son or a parking valet or a service tech from driving it hard. I might try a simple binder clip next.

I was thinking about using something like this..

cable_clamp.jpg

Kinda like an exhaust clamp, except very small..

I think that would be easy to remove/replace.

Riley

Skud said:
Ok, so lately I've been getting pissed off that my stang has no power and seems to be dogging alot.

So, last night I decided to do something about it. I did the usual routing stuff..

Plugs.. Look good
Air Filter.. Yup.. It's ok.

Just for $hits and giggles I took off the air inlet tube from the filter to the throttle body and started playing around with the throttle cable and stuff..

Then I got thinking about how it seems like I have to floor it to get any power. So, I got out my trusty brick and put it on the gas pedal (The car was off you tools!! :D ). Then I walked around to the throttle body and guess what?? The throttle plate was only about 1/2 open!!?? :bang:

I dunno if the cable is stretched or if the stop on the cable has gotten pushed back, or what, but it wasn't open more than 1/2.

So, I cut the end off one of those white bic pens, cut a slit down the middle and put it in the space between the cable stop and gas pedal. Used a couple of zip ties to hold it on, and now the gas pedal is almost level with the brake pedal. Also, the floor no longer stops the gas pedal, it's the throttle body that limits how far down I can push the gas..

I think I'm going to find a more permanent solution though. I'm going to replace the bic pen with a metal peice, and use hose clamps instead. Or even one of those cable clamps..

So, yeah.. 20 minutes and I have my power back, and maybe even more than I had to start out with!!

Riley

Now we can finally have a decent race :D

nice! I ended up snapping my pedal off last year street racing in austin, TX. I have been driving on the nub for over a year now :nice: I wonder how much ford would cost to throw another pedal on there, maybe even a metal one :shrug:

Blakers01GT said:
nice! I ended up snapping my pedal off last year street racing in austin, TX. I have been driving on the nub for over a year now :nice: I wonder how much ford would cost to throw another pedal on there, maybe even a metal one :shrug:

Might be a good time to goto the bullitt pedals??

Riley

It's really pretty simple. Look at the gas pedal. Follow the arm up, past the pivot hinge. At the tip, you'll see a cable sticking through with a locking thing holding it from slipping through the pedal arm. When you step on the pedal, it pivots and pulls the cable.

Lift up on the gas pedal with your hand. As the pedal moves towards the driver, the upper arm will move towards the front of the vehicle. You should see the exposed cable and the locking thing on the end. You need some kind of spacer to hold the pedal and arm in that position.

Something like this would be perfect, as long as it is slit along the side so you can slide it over the cable.

237%2B337-wheel-bearing-space.jpg

Once it is in place, lock it down with cable ties or hose clamps.

Or, http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/99pedals.htm.

Blakers01GT said:
do those go over the plastic ones? or do they weld in? because my pedal snapped off completely with my metal steeda pedal still attatched. I might look into that, thanks :nice:

The ones I have are directly from ford. They include the brake, clutch, and gas pedals. The brake and clutch ones are slip on, while the gas is a completely new unit. Metal arm and all.

Riley

Skud said:
The ones I have are directly from ford. They include the brake, clutch, and gas pedals. The brake and clutch ones are slip on, while the gas is a completely new unit. Metal arm and all.

Riley

Did you install them or did ford? and how much? And if ford installed them, how much? Thanks, Riley

Blake

I did this a while ago with a bic pen and 3 tie wraps. One thing that I did was not take all the slack out of the cable, but left about 3/16". Otherwise the gas pedal was higher than the brake pedal when braking, and I kept stabbing the throttle with the side of my shoe.

Blakers01GT said:
Did you install them or did ford? and how much? And if ford installed them, how much? Thanks, Riley

Blake

They were actually on the car when I bought it. The only reason I know they are ford parts is because he left the box with the old pedals in the trunk. In the box there are the two stock pedal covers (brake and clutch) and the gas pedal unit (pedal and metal bar).

I'm thinking ford installed the pedals for him. he didn't seem to be the do-it-yourself kind of guy.

I've got the part number here.. It is... 2R3Z-9G757-AA Pedal N16 $136.01 (Canadian)

Riley

Skud said:
They were actually on the car when I bought it. The only reason I know they are ford parts is because he left the box with the old pedals in the trunk. In the box there are the two stock pedal covers (brake and clutch) and the gas pedal unit (pedal and metal bar).

I'm thinking ford installed the pedals for him. he didn't seem to be the do-it-yourself kind of guy.

I've got the part number here.. It is... 2R3Z-9G757-AA Pedal N16 $136.01 (Canadian)

Riley

Thanks alot, man! Thanks for letting me know :nice:

Blake

We did this mod, mustangworld style, with a piece of hose and two tiny hose clamps to my wife's 01 GT. Works perfectly, not as slick as some other solutions, but hey, it's under the dash anyway. Weird thing is though, I was going to do this on my 02 GT, but after installing the Accufab TB and plenum, there is absolutely no slack at all...?