Gas Price Woes!...

GTA_V6_Mustang

Nov 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Ok well I am really starting to feel the pain at the pump. And would actually really like to buy a little econo car or something but dont have the money for it. And I plan on keeping my stang to make a classic one day so selling it isnt even a consideration. So with gas at 3.39 a gallon at the cheapest here in miami I am really looking into taking a bus to and from work. I Already looked into it. 78 minute ride which is a lot but w/e and only $2 there and back which would add up to only $16 a week vs my almost $50 a week in fuel. Just have to wake up a bit earlier. And less wear on the old beast now at 173.5k miles. And the stang gets pretty good mileage averagely. 19-20mpg for my normal driving and 28-29mpg highway only trips. Just sharing what I am considering to cut down on fuel costs.

• Sponsors (?)

Ok well I am really starting to feel the pain at the pump. And would actually really like to buy a little econo car or something but dont have the money for it. And I plan on keeping my stang to make a classic one day so selling it isnt even a consideration. So with gas at 3.39 a gallon at the cheapest here in miami I am really looking into taking a bus to and from work. I Already looked into it. 78 minute ride which is a lot but w/e and only $2 there and back which would add up to only $16 a week vs my almost $50 a week in fuel. Just have to wake up a bit earlier. And less wear on the old beast now at 173.5k miles. And the stang gets pretty good mileage averagely. 19-20mpg for my normal driving and 28-29mpg highway only trips. Just sharing what I am considering to cut down on fuel costs.

Nothing wrong with that! You'll save about $1,800 a year!!:nice:

I feel ya! Me, in my infinite wisdom, traded an Olds Bravada that got about 16mpg for a V8 Grand Cherokee that gets about 14. Did I mention my commute is 30 miles each way? :bang:

Need to get a bike...40 MPG and you get to work plenty early...:nice:

Your gas bill would be 20.00 a week....I find its a tad easier...20.00 in the car for a few rides and some in the bike for work..

Need to get a bike...40 MPG and you get to work plenty early...:nice:

Your gas bill would be 20.00 a week....I find its a tad easier...20.00 in the car for a few rides and some in the bike for work..

I thought the same thing a few years ago until I had to pay the insurance on a sportsbike. Makes paying for gas for a built up Mustang look cheap. If you can get a bike w/ no payments and cheap insurance then your golden.

I have a bike, just need warm weather to arrive. I spend $530 a year on insurance for the bike, so I'd still save by riding it in nice weather, versus paying for gas at $45 a pop to fill from half a tank.

I feel ya! Me, in my infinite wisdom, traded an Olds Bravada that got about 16mpg for a V8 Grand Cherokee that gets about 14. Did I mention my commute is 30 miles each way? :bang:

I traded my Mazda3 that got 32mpg for a 16mpg V8 Grand Cherokee. :rlaugh: :(

I tried to trade it in on a Focus last weekend, but apparently SUV's have drastically dropped in value. The dealer wouldn't even give me half what I still owe on it. :(

Gas here is $3.49 for 87. At least I filled up a few days ago at $3.25.

I actually bought a mountain bike

I work shifts and on nights its a fairly calm ride into the plant. Its about a 7mile ride and takes less then 1/2 hr to get to work but double that to go home...all up hill! Just waiting for the warmer weather to finally settle in! Even if I only use the bike for half my shifts a month I'll save $100 a month over the summer, plus the bennifits of some regular exercise. Taking the bus isn't an option! takes way too long, even longer then riding the damn bike home!

My Bronco gets 14mpg and my commute is 18 miles each way. I just ride my bike 3 times a week instead. It take 30 minutes by car and 1 hour by bike, sometime less depending on lights (I'll average about 20mph on the bike). I'll throw in an extra 16 or so miles after work once a week just to help with endurance. I'd like to move to riding the bike 4 days a week, but at 34-36 miles a day, it's pretty tiring. I'm waiting for gas to hit $4/ga at which point I'll be taking the bike every day.

I jsut bought a tweecer to take some timing out of it (pinging at low rpm and high load) with 87 octane so I have been running 93... Plus I think I can get better mileage... I drive 98 miles a day, 5 days a week if the weather allows so every little bit helps...

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it hit $4 sometime this year. Who knows if it will, but if it did, I'll at least be ready to not commute by car anymore. It could be $6 and Americans will still drive. We will complain about it non stop but we will still fill our tanks. Most of us are too stubborn and/or lazy to consider alternate means of commuting, like by bus or bike. Everyone in the office already thinks I'm out of my mind for riding as it is. I'm already enjoying the $140/mo savings (if you assume roughly $0.40/mi for fuel and maintenance and subtract $40 for gym membership for showering).

There are reasons our gas is less than half of what it is everywhere else in the world, but I wouldn't take that for granted.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it hit $4 sometime this year. Who knows if it will, but if it did, I'll at least be ready to not commute by car anymore. It could be $6 and Americans will still drive. We will complain about it non stop but we will still fill our tanks. Most of us are too stubborn and/or lazy to consider alternate means of commuting, like by bus or bike. There are reasons our gas is less than half of what it is everywhere else in the world, but I wouldn't take that for granted.

They have (the media) has been screaming $4 gas for how long now? Its been years and years they have been saying this, every spring they preach about $4 gas, its all scare tactics Yes some places such as CA either have or will hit $4 a gallon but as the national AVG I would be very surprised to see it go further then $3.50 for 87 octane.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it hit $4 sometime this year. Who knows if it will, but if it did, I'll at least be ready to not commute by car anymore. It could be $6 and Americans will still drive. We will complain about it non stop but we will still fill our tanks. Most of us are too stubborn and/or lazy to consider alternate means of commuting, like by bus or bike. Everyone in the office already thinks I'm out of my mind for riding as it is. I'm already enjoying the $140/mo savings (if you assume roughly $0.40/mi for fuel and maintenance and subtract $40 for gym membership for showering).

There are reasons our gas is less than half of what it is everywhere else in the world, but I wouldn't take that for granted.

Unfortunatly where I live there is no bus or public transportation available and I live 45 miles from work. Some sort of motorcycle or small car are the only options available and either way I would still have to buy gas.

Luckily I have job that requires a work truck and they pay for my gas

They have (the media) has been screaming $4 gas for how long now? Its been years and years they have been saying this, every spring they preach about $4 gas, its all scare tactics Yes some places such as CA either have or will hit $4 a gallon but as the national AVG I would be very surprised to see it go further then $3.50 for 87 octane.

Nonetheless, I'm not try to debate whether it will or won't, I just feel better being ready for anything. It's one less thing I have to worry about.

There are plenty of circumstances where we just won't have a choice but to drive. People with kids or who live really far from work or live where there's harsh weather and don't have public transportation etc etc, may not have a reasonable choice aside from driving. But in many areas, like in Tucson and other fair weather towns, a majority of the population lives within 20 miles of their work and the weather isn't an issue. We have buses everywhere (accept for my area) and you can ride pretty much anywhere in town anyway. But most will shrug it off as being too inconvenient or too hard and that's OK. It's a personal choice for them. I think that even these people will pay through the nose to not give up the luxury of their car on a daily basis. Again, personal choice and priorities.

Nonetheless, I'm not try to debate whether it will or won't, I just feel better being ready for anything. It's one less thing I have to worry about.

There are plenty of circumstances where we just won't have a choice but to drive. People with kids or who live really far from work or live where there's harsh weather and don't have public transportation etc etc, may not have a reasonable choice aside from driving. But in many areas, like in Tucson and other fair weather towns, a majority of the population lives within 20 miles of their work and the weather isn't an issue. We have buses everywhere (accept for my area) and you can ride pretty much anywhere in town anyway. But most will shrug it off as being too inconvenient or too hard and that's OK. It's a personal choice for them. I think that even these people will pay through the nose to not give up the luxury of their car on a daily basis. Again, personal choice and priorities.

I know what your saying and I agree with your points. It very well may hit $4 a gallon at some point in time but how many times are these so called experts going to cry wolf?