Gas Prices!! and thankful to own a 2.3

Sure, gas prices have gone WAY up, but they still haven't really affected me much. I'm only paying like an extra five bucks every three weeks, which is barely noticeable. Of course, i'm sure that gas costs will skyrocket for me when I get the turbo motor up and running, but that comes with the territory.

• Sponsors (?)

i4power said:
Sure, gas prices have gone WAY up, but they still haven't really affected me much. I'm only paying like an extra five bucks every three weeks, which is barely noticeable. Of course, i'm sure that gas costs will skyrocket for me when I get the turbo motor up and running, but that comes with the territory.

As long as you keep your foot out of the throttle ( ya right lol) you should get pretty decent gas mileage. My SVO gets about 350 a tank of gas.

ha I spend 2.49 for premium and typically run 200 miles on a tank of gas granted 18lbs of boost and a heavy foot keep me from getting great milage, odd thing is I got a 1990 mazda MPV POS and my stang gets better gas milage :nice:

i4power said:
Well in the last 2 weeks a tank of gas has gone up $5.25 for me. If I act like a tank of gas will last me a week, it won't maybe 4-5 days. that's about $24.54 a month. Remember this is the price increase in the last two weeks. I'm not bitching about my cars mileage or the possible reasons why. Nor am I trying to say that it's hard for everybody. But for a broke dick college student like me, another $24.54/month can be a real pain in the ass.

Oh this was all assuming one tank a week, an average month of 4.6 weeks, and an 21 gallon gas tank. How big is the stang's tank?

tealtiger93 said:
All tanks from 1979-1993 are 15.4 gallons i believe. Even if i let it run all the way down I can only get in 11 gallons. On that I can squeeze out 220 miles. What can I do to get better gas mileage.

Try the basic stuff first like make sure your tires have the right pressure and a full tune-up. Some how I've gotton 50+ more miles a tank of gas and can't figure out how :scratch: I've had the car 4 years and done a tune-up 5 months pryer to the good gas mileage I've been getting. I have how ever put some air in my tires for the first time in a year but not sure if that would account for that much more mileage.

HA! 24mpg isn't kicking ass in terms of mileage. My V6 dodge gets 30-32mpg and I don't drive in fuel economy mode either. Hell, even a 5.0 gets better mileage than a 4 banger unless it's running good... which doesn't apply to 99% of them :D If I gotta pay for all that gas I better get some excitement out of it!! Time to ditch the beater and get a V8 :p

anyone notice that gasoline is $2.20 a gallon, and diesel fuel is still at $1.80? Both come out of the same base, and you can't extract more diesel than gasoline. So either gasoline demand has shot far beyond diesel (unlikely since it is used in massive quantities by industry and commerce), or the oil industry is jerking us around. Hmmmmm

The OFFICIAL list of causes of poor fuel economy.

-Bad spark plugs, wires, or otehr part of ignition system.
-Bad oxygen sensor.
-Improper tire inflation pressure.
-Poor compression due to rings and/or valves.
-Incorrect ignition or valve timing setting.
-Restricted air cleaner.
-Parasitic loss due to dragging brakes or screwed up tranny etc.
-Failure of driver to operate engine at low speeds and light loads.
-Restrictive exhaust such as plugged cats.
-Fuel pressure too high or not properly regulated.
-Leaking fuel injectors or worn w/ poor atomization.
-Intake charge and/or engine too cold causing poor fuel atomization and combustion.
-MAP sensor or other sensors sending false data.
-Buying gasoline from a dinky place run by arabs.
-Anything else I neglected to mention. (I'm so sorry)