Gas Product ?

My 1991 Mustang 5.0 Convertible has been sitting for awhile. There is an additive you can add to the fuel tank .

This additive helps the old gas that's in the tank. I can't remember what it is called.

Does anybody know the name of the product I'm talking about ?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'm surprised that after three years, there's even fuel left in the tank? I would have guess most of it would have evaporated by now ? If there's only a little bit left, just fill it up with some premium and run it through. If there's a significant amount in the tank (above half), drop it and siphon it out.

What about disconnecting the fuel line at the fuel rail and dropping it into a 5 gallon bucket and jumping the fuel pump? Gets all the old crap out of the tank and the fuel lines. Then replace fuel filter and add new gas to the tank and do it again which will prime your fuel lines with new fuel. I did this after putting in a new gas tank but I used compressed air to blow out my lines from after the fuel filter to the disconnect at the rail. It blew out a lot of old nasty fuel. You don't need a lot of PSI to do this.

Reactions: 1 user
the product is called 'drain the tank and flush the lines" Then I would run injector cleaner via the injector rail to clean out the injectors, rails, FPR and top end, Hope the system isnt varnished/rusted out.

If your car is prone to sitting, add Stabil to the tank but the car needs to be started every few weeks. The worst thing for a car is to sit extended. Chances are your seals and gaskets are all dry rotted.

Reactions: 1 user
What about disconnecting the fuel line at the fuel rail and dropping it into a 5 gallon bucket and jumping the fuel pump? Gets all the old crap out of the tank and the fuel lines.
The issue I have with doing it this way is that you're running all of that old, cruddy gas (read *varnish) and tank sediment through the fuel pump on its way out. Not to mention, its under quite a bit of pressure to boot.

I mean....that method will work, but I prefer removing the bolts holding the straps on, bringing the tank down with a floor jack, disconnecting the fill hose where it meets the tank and just running a siphoning line down into it? That way, none of that garbage has to make its way through the rest of your fuel system. Jack her back into place, fill it full of fresh fuel (and maybe a can of seafoam for good measure) and take it for a drive.

But sure....I guess he could try an additive, although I've never used them.

I've done the disconnect a line method and use the fuel pump. What a PITA that was. As gearbanger said there was SO much pressure on the end of the line that fuel was going everywhere. Not to mention the amount of time it takes to crank a car to pump 5+ gallons of fuel out. (starter, batter wear anyone?).

It's more cost effective and simply safer to drop the tank as explained.

I've done the disconnect a line method and use the fuel pump. What a PITA that was. As gearbanger said there was SO much pressure on the end of the line that fuel was going everywhere. Not to mention the amount of time it takes to crank a car to pump 5+ gallons of fuel out. (starter, batter wear anyone?).

It's more cost effective and simply safer to drop the tank as explained.

You actually turned the key over to start the car to get the fuel pump to go? That's not what I was recommending to do.

@Gearbanger 101 , the way you describe is the correct way, mine is a lazy way. However with your way you may as well go the whole 9 yards and replace seals, fuel pump sock, etc since you've already gone through all the work to drop the tank.

You actually turned the key over to start the car to get the fuel pump to go? That's not what I was recommending to do.

@Gearbanger 101 , the way you describe is the correct way, mine is a lazy way. However with your way you may as well go the whole 9 yards and replace seals, fuel pump sock, etc since you've already gone through all the work to drop the tank.
I guess you could do all that, but f it's not leaking, why bother? You don't disturb the pump at all when you siphon from the filler neck on the tank. The only reason I would bother messing with the pump, or the tank gasket at all would be if I were noticing an issue with it (not building pressure, excessive noise, etc)....in which case I'd probably just replace the pump, strainer and gasket altogether. :shrug:

Pumping out the old gas:
If the old pump still works, you can use it to pump the tank out.
1.) Separate the pressure line (the one with the Schrader valve on it) using the fuel line tools.
Look in the A/C repair section for the fuel line tools. They look like little plastic top hats. You will need the 1/2" & 5/8" ones. The hat shaped section goes on facing the large part of the coupling. Then you press hard on the brim until it forces the sleeve into the coupling and releases the spring. You may need someone to pull on the line while you press on the coupling.

25981318_lis_lis37000_pri_larg.jpg

Use a piece of garden hose to run from the pressure line to your bucket or gas can. Make sure it is as leak proof as you can make it. Fire and explosion are not part of the repair process...

2.) Jumper the fuel pump test point to ground.

attachment.php

Turn the ignition switch to the Run position. the fuel pump will pump the tank almost dry unless the battery runs down first.

Some 5 gallon paint pails lined with garbage bags are good to hold the gas. The garbage bags provide a clean liner for the pails and keep the loose trash out of the gas so you can reuse it. If you decide to use a siphon, a piece of 1/2" garden hose stuck down the filler neck will siphon all but a gallon or so of the gas.