Gas tank clicks when filling up with gas

mat82284

Jul 31, 2003
I have had this year for a year now, but before it only clicked after 3-4mins then it would stop and I would just start again. As summer approached it got much worse, now it clicks at every 25-30seconds. I have learned to just hold the handle and squeeze lightly. I replaced my fuel system a year ago and was wondering how the actual gas tank works to pressurize. When the gas clicks it comes flying back out at me and always gets my hand and sometimes my shirt. It fills as if its always pressurized and wont let out. I know there is two tubes below the filler neck, what are those for exactly? If say one was plugged or cracked to let air in would either of those cause an issue like this?

• Sponsors (?)

What Model Year?

It is either (depending upon MY):
*clogged evaporative canister
*stuck/broken filler neck check valve.
*clogged tank vent
*clogged/pinched vapor line.

The design of the 1996-1998 filler neck is different from 1999-2004. There are even small differences between 1999-2000 and 2001+.

The 1999-2000 has an orifice in the vent line that can be drilled out to 1/8" to improve filling. Note, this is a work around fix as the REAL problem is a clogged evporative canister.

What Model Year?

It is either (depending upon MY):
*clogged evaporative canister
*stuck/broken filler neck check valve.
*clogged tank vent
*clogged/pinched vapor line.

The design of the 1996-1998 filler neck is different from 1999-2004. There are even small differences between 1999-2000 and 2001+.

The 1999-2000 has an orifice in the vent line that can be drilled out to 1/8" to improve filling. Note, this is a work around fix as the REAL problem is a clogged evporative canister.

Thats strange my signiture dissapeared. Oh well. I have a 2000 mustang and I think that I've heard of this problem before, but I'm pretty sure mine is at the extreme right now. Where is the evaporator canister how can I check to see if its clogged? or is it there just a cheap replacement?

Oh I found your old post, I'll try those things and see what happends.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/801796-slow-re-fueling-2000-gt.html

Location of charcoal canister

On the 1999-2004 MY, the charcoal canister is located behind the left rear tire just beside the gas tank. The canister is held in place by 4 bolts and is fairly easy to access (take off the left rear tire).

All of the vapor lines are friction fit or quick release.

A new canister is $80 from Ford.

Mine was so clogged that even with high pressure air, almost none passed through.

The "green" fix is to replace the charcoal canister. The cheaper fix is to enlarge the vent orifice.

Note, in my case, the larger orifice was not a total repair. It still shuts off from time to time. However, only 1-2 times per tank is something I can live with. Beats the heck out of 20-30 shut offs per tank.

I have a 2001 and filling up became such a problem that I couldn't put in 5 seconds worth of gas before the gun clicked.

It ended up being the Canister Vent Solenoid in on the left side outside the gas tank. It was stuck closed so air couldn't move through the lines going in and out of the gas tank. It took me 30 minutes to check it see that it was broken and put in a new one. This was a few years ago, but if I remember it was called the EVAP Canister. It was next to the gas tank so don't quote me on the name. I didn't replace the whole canister just the solenoid inside it.

A full tank of gas, and it didn't take 30 minutes to fill up. WOW!

It's called the CV solenoid. It is attached to the canister for the 1999-2004 MY. The CV solenoid should be open in it's default state. Operation is easily confirmed by blowing through it.

It should block air flow when 12 volts is applied.

In my case, the CV solenoid was working normally.

Good point to verify the operation of the CV solenoid as if stuck CLOSED would cause tank venting problems and the reported symptioms.