Gas tank?

Alright look.........I have NO idea WHY my gas gauge doesn't work, but it doesn't. It's been like that since I got it. Here's my question, and BOY do I need some help here b/c any sort of miscalculation and I'm stranded on the side of the road and late for my hot date (you know what I'm sayin :nice: )? How many gallons does the old fox body tank hold? I'm fillin' up after my temporary odometer reads around 130 miles, and I'm just curious as to how far I can run it before it's time to fill up again.

Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

All fox bodies are 15 or 15.5 gallons I believe. I wouldn't drive over 150 miles without a gas gauge if I were you. That number should keep you safe. My h/c/i car is sucking the gas right now though. She needs a tune and something to get her to operating temp bad.

:Word:

I've been living by the 150-mile rule of thumb in my Notch, since the gas gauge has eternally read wayyyyyy above full from the very day that I first filled it up. I have a brand new sending unit sitting in my closet, I'm just waiting for the fuel pump to die someday so that I have a real reason to go dropping the tank and fooling around with that whole mess.

I've gone as far as 175 miles on a tank before refueling, but I was sweating bullets the whole time and hoping it wouldn't run dry. For me, 150 miles usually equals about 6 or 7 gallons, so roughly 1/2 tank ... although you'll never catch me trying to push that thing to 250 miles or so, at least not until I get the speedo to read more accurately and, again, I get off my lazy arse and change out the sending unit.

Could also just be a bad connection - corroded contacts or wire broken/grounding out/pinched/whatever - or the far less likely chance that the gauge cluster is bad. Usually, in most cases, it's just the sending unit.

I would take 2 jackstands, put them under the gas tank, undo the 2 strap bolts, and lower the tank down just a few inches so you can see the wiring harness on the back side of the gas tank. when i took my tank out, mine had all kinds of gunk on it, and it took a while to clean off. if yours looks anything like mine did, i wouldnt doubt that would be your problem.

View attachment 384141

View attachment 384142