Gauge cluster and alternator...

ka0tyk

Founding Member
Oct 10, 2001
Los Angeles, CA
does ANY of the alternator wiring go into the gauge cluster and does it need the gauges to work?

I am currently in the process of putting a 90-93 gauge cluster in my 89... and obviously its not charging the battery or i have a direct short... and I unhooked EVERYTHING but the +12 feed, and the instrument lights and the necessary oil press sender, fuel sender, and grounds...

if i do have a short I think I can just ditch the cluster out for a day so that I can get to work. but does the cluster have ANYTHING to do with the alternators functionality????

maybe this will help. where should i put the R/LG and LG/R wires that go to the ignition switch??

right now i have:

89: R/LG ignition to coil battery <--> 90: #7 12v input
89: LG/R ignition to alt regulator <--> 90: NOT HOOKED UP.

where do i put these 2??
http://www.stangnet.com/tech/cluster87-93.pdf

• Sponsors (?)

89MustangGX said:
There is a wire in the cluster that energizes the alternator and causes it to charge. As for the cluster, the wiring is different between the early and later years.

yah the R/LG wire goes to the battery gauge/battery warning light, then you follow the lead from behind the cluster to the other pin and you hook the alternator LG/R wire to that... now everything works 100% FINE.