Gauging interest in a turbo kit

10secgoal

Dec 1, 2003
San Diego
I setting up right now to begin making kits for our cars. I want to make them affordable with good quality. Enough power to split a stock block. For right now, no IC's will be available. There are just too many variables. There will be options for a 351w as well as 302. Hopefully I can get this idea I have to work in 65-73, to include the 351w in a 65-66. The wastegate may be a little expensive, as I would like to be able to dump it back into the down pipe. I am waiting on emails right now to see what my cost will be so I keep these kits reasonable. As of right now I am looking to keep the kits well under 3k. No IC's right now because you just don't need them to split a stock block. Also, all of the welds as of right now are going to be tigged. I'm not looking to make a ton of dough of these kits. I don't have rent to pay, or employees. I just want you guys to know this stupid feeling of power. :D Wish me luck

• Sponsors (?)

Gonna need a dart block by the sound of it. What turbo are you going with? What engine bay will you be using? Im planing on fabbing up my own kit, but I changed my plans alittle and deleted the towers.

Good luck!

Luis

i think the idea is great, but i personally dont have the job to sink that much money into my car at a time...i have trouble trying to get enuf money for exhaust, carb, or a cam

LUCAFU1 said:
Gonna need a dart block by the sound of it. What turbo are you going with? What engine bay will you be using? Im planing on fabbing up my own kit, but I changed my plans alittle and deleted the towers.

Good luck!

Luis
Yeah, splitting the block of the 8.2 decks. Which most run. That's what I was talking about. The 351w, depending on prep will take over 500rwhp pretty reliably. A 351 to make that will need and intercooler,race gas, or water injection. I may move onto more complicated kits, but for now what to keep it affordable, and easy to build.I think the first headers are going to be a 351w in a 65. If I can fit those, they will go anywhere. This is going to be a pretty basic kit. Since no combo in these damn things are the same, what I plan to do is run the down pipe out, and to the toes on some kits. If the person wants to keep their old exhuast. Or I can run mandrels all the way out the back. The cost is basically going to depend on what I need to do.
As of right now, the kits are going to be a big single. Probably a T-61 with a
.68 or .81 housing. And for the 351's, a T-70 like the ones a ton of people are running with a .81 or .96 housing. All this depends on the power goals. A T-61 can certainly give a 351 a swift kick in the ass, and be enough if you aren't looking to make 800hp.
Right now, getting the basics...Turbo,wastegate, and BOV is going to be around 1050-1300 just to get started. Hopefully this is on the high side, but we'll see. And as of right now, AC and P/S are out the window. Sorry.

I doubt you'll be able to get exhaust to clear with a 351 in a 65-66..
this is a dual setup in a FB
turbo.jpg

there just isnt that much room...

If a 65 with a 351 can use a shorty header dumping at the back, it must be possible to get them past the shock towers. Forward facing shorties should also work. Tight, yes, but I think it is possible.

Exactly what I'm thinking Brian. But DK, all that cleared .:scratch: The only real hard part is getting the DP out.
I would like to find sombody locally that has all the money right now. That way he can get it on the road a little while after I get it done.
How important is it to you guys not to have to drill a 5in hole in the fender apron to get the K&N out of the engine bay.

paul302 said:
no way, jose. forward facing shorties don't come close to fitting on a '68 with a 351, so foward shorties on a '65 with a 351 is a pipe dream.
I was not thinking off the shelf shorties. I was thinking of a header designed for that purpose only. I think it is possible.

Right... They are definetly going to be log type. That's why if I can get them to work with a 351w in a 65-66, they have to fit damn near everything else. Logs can still get you 10's, even if you hit the brakes when the DP falls off and you lose 14MPH right ?:D Damn, take it back !! We (I) want real numbers.:nice:

DarkoStoj said:
thats why I said he has a guaranteed buyer right here :D

Rear mounted turbo? :eek:
I think if you were willing to cut a hole here, or two, it could be very possible. But the thing is, until I've made a few bucks from a few of these, I can't affored to go buy all the stuff needed to mock it all up. Right now, the cars I'm going to use for the mock ups are free, but not mine to hack up. NOW, if there was a guy here locally that had those options, I could set it up, and make a jig for your car. Only times going to tell as of right now.

10secgoal said:
I think if you were willing to cut a hole here, or two, it could be very possible. But the thing is, until I've made a few bucks from a few of these, I can't affored to go buy all the stuff needed to mock it all up. Right now, the cars I'm going to use for the mock ups are free, but not mine to hack up. NOW, if there was a guy here locally that had those options, I could set it up, and make a jig for your car. Only times going to tell as of right now.
I really like Paul's setup, but A/C is too important to me

It's going to look a little like Pauls kit. The only problem that I see is his wastegate. It holds 15 psi just fine, which is alright because he wants 20 in a little bit. But most of ours motors won't be able to take that kinda power. Wastegate location is kinda tricky when you have only a little space. It's placement is very important if you want to keep boost low. If it can't vent alot of gas, you get boost creep, and blown head gaskets. I was only able to vent one side(not recomended), and with only a 38mm wastegate. I put it in the best place I could on my system, but it didn't allow me to return the exhuast back into the down pipe. Which can be a little loud when it vents. Not what most people are going to want in a street car.
So the first ones are going to be basic until I can get the funds to buy extra things, such as P/S and AC to build around.