Gear Option from the Factory?

• Sponsors (?)

im gonna go ahead and say he lied, find out what gears it has for sure before you buy it. IT may have 3.55's but it shouldnt be stock.

GSP393 said:
My '89 GT came stock with a 3.08, but I don't know of a Mustang with anything lower than that stock.

I had the "Z" Code 3.08:1 gears in my 1992, but now have 3.73:1

The 3.08 was actually a step up from the 2.73:1 that most got.

you can check to make sure they are really 3:55's. i got ripped off on a rear that was supposed to have 3:73's, turned out they were freakin 2:73's. if the rear is already out, take a piece of chalk (or something alike) and put a line on the top of the circle the driveshaft bolts to. then spin one of the wheels one full rotation and count how many times the pinion spins. if it's about 3 and 1/2 times then they are 3:55's. if a little more than 3 1/2 then they're 3:73's and so on.

The previous term, replaced with that in bold, was removed as it was innappropriate- Mngmt

The highest gear available was a 3.27 in the 93 cobras. No 3.55's were stock...

Just look at the problems people have with their speedometer when they put 3.55's in. There is no exact speedo gear for it without changing the drive gear in the tranny...and ford didn't make tranny's with different drive gears........

sunil6784 said:
The highest gear available was a 3.27 in the 93 cobras. No 3.55's were stock...

Just look at the problems people have with their speedometer when they put 3.55's in. There is no exact speedo gear for it without changing the drive gear in the tranny...and ford didn't make tranny's with different drive gears........

The 3.27 was also available for AOD equipped stangs. And what do you mean by: "and ford didn't make tranny's with different drive gears.." I plan on changing my drive gear to a 6 or 7 tooth from the 8 tooth whenever I do a clutch for my car, so I'm not following you at all on the above statement. And they did have different drive gears for different year model t5's that can interchange. 87-89 had a 7 tooth, 90+ had a 8 tooth. Thats why 89 and older and run 3.73s with a 21 tooth and the 90+ had to run the 23 tooth. Yeah your right there is no exact speedo gear, but the only way you could get an exact mph is if you had an adjustable unit to compensate for different tire heights and gear ratios, etc. Maybe I just misunderstood you, but thats they way it sounded to me.

A lot of misinformation here

Factory base gear for an 87-93 V8 Mustang is 2.73

If you had an AOD you could get 3.27's at no extra cost

If you had a 5-spd, you could get 3.08's at no-cost.

'93 Cobras got 3.08's. No other option.

For the 4-bangers, there were no options, you either got 3.45's with a 5-spd or 3.73's with an AOD.

Fox Saleens DID have a 3.55 option, so if this rear is from a Saleen, it could have come with that gear stock.

TC's got 3.55s for 5-spds and 3.73's for AODs

Mark 7's got 3.08's base and 3.27's in the LSC.