Gear ratios

heckish

Aug 5, 2003
nc
I have a 1998 v6 w/ manual trans. I believe the stock ratio for 1st, 2nd, 3rd is 3.35, 1.93 and 1.29 respectively. If i got a shift kit - say changing the ratio to 3.73 or even 4.11 - how much of an accelration gain could i hope to achieve? How much would this reduce top speed? and could someone explain what the numbers above signify? Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

3.73 for manuals and 4.10s for an auto. This seems to be the general concensus or rule. Not that you have to stick to it, but for streetability and highway driving this is a good comprimise. As far as the tranny gear ratios couldn't help you there. I have 3.73's and I love them, I would be tempted to go to 4.10's even and I have a manual.

If you got a shift kit then it would just firm up your shifting I beleive, those are different then gears.

Sounds good. So basically the 3.73's are for the manuals? if i were say to get 4.10s would it increase my accel of the 3.73s? How much money do you think we're talking for parts and labor? thanks again.

3.35 is a tad high for the first could be right but probably a 3.29~ range or something its been so long since i have read what the ratios are, and there are alot of variations on the t-5

one thing is for sure if you put in 3.73 you will shave off a half second from your 0-60 you currently have 2.73 crappy gears so its WELL WORTH the money.

well at the time I bought my gears I paid ~$1000 for a tlok, gears, and labour. I live in Canada so for the exchange I would assume your looking at roughly ~700 bucks for the install but that includes a tlok which you may or may not want.

If your wondering about a tlok, it will give you more traction, your car pushes with only one wheel at the back right now if it were to lose traction the tlok will deliver power to the other side, very helpful, and recommended if you get gears. so if you peeled out of somewhere you get two tire tracks not just one.

try www.gefracing.com for the gears and tlok, I think they are pretty cheap from here. then you just need to call some local tranny shops to see about install. and yes the higher the gear(4.10's) the quicker the acceleration but too high(4.10's+) and you will start having traction problems and highway driving you will be revving the car really high and it will not sound too pretty or you can just drive at like 20mph in 5th gear comfortably. :D

GREENBIOCH said:
3.73 for manuals and 4.10s for an auto. This seems to be the general concensus or rule. Not that you have to stick to it, but for streetability and highway driving this is a good comprimise. As far as the tranny gear ratios couldn't help you there. I have 3.73's and I love them, I would be tempted to go to 4.10's even and I have a manual.

If you got a shift kit then it would just firm up your shifting I beleive, those are different then gears.

I'm going to have a transmission swap done on my mustang. I have a pathetic auto and can no longer tolerate it. Anyways, I do ZERO highway driving and figured i'd go ahead and get 4.10s. I don't see waht a big difference there could be between a 3.73 and 4.10 rearend.

Yeah, shift kits are just for autos. There is no such thing for manual trannies. I have an auto and went with 3.27's as I do a good chunk of highway driving. Good thing about that is 99+'s come with those gears so it easy to find em for cheap. I got a good deal better acceleration and managed to maintain highway mileage. Before the gears I was about 1700rpm @ 70mph and now its 2000rpm @ 70mph. If you don't do much highway then I'd say go 3.73, but you may wanna go 3.45 or even 3.27 if mileage matters to you.

P.S.
I paid ~400 for the gears, install, and a rebuilt t-lok from the guy who did the installation. If you go with brand new everything it will cost a whole lot more than that. I was kind of skeptical about used stuff, but after months of trouble free driving I'm a believer. I still do the occasional burnout just to make sure my t-lok still works and so far, so good.

400 is a damn good price, where did u buy them used? is there an online place i could look at for gear ratios? I dont do that much highway so 3.73 will work fine i think. Thanks again.

If you look around on the for sale threads of v6power.net and 38mustang.com I think it is you'll find people trying to get rid of their gears. I searched and found an old thread and emailed the guy and he still had em cause not many people want 3.27's, but for 3.73's you may have to go new or look on eBay if you don't find em on sites like those I mentioned.