Gear swap question

IH8BOWTIES

Jul 6, 2008
I have a 2004 Expedition (I know, this is a mustang forum. I'm getting there) Anyway, the expy has 3:73 gears. Stock it had 17" wheels and now it has 20". So, I'm going to put 4:10's in the expy. The 3:73's would really wake the 97 pony up going from 3:08's. The question is, they are both 8.8 gears. They should fit the mustang right?

• Sponsors (?)

you pretty much answered your own question. yes if they are 8.8s the ring and pinion will work but ive never had much luck with used gears. maybe if you know someone with the ford rotunda pinion setting tools they would be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
My 3.73s are used and have had no problems. Just a little whine. Why are u changing the gears in the expedition? Do u have taller tires or is the diameter different? It not just put the 4.10s in the mustang. Then they won't be used!

My 3.73s are used and have had no problems. Just a little whine. Why are u changing the gears in the expedition? Do u have taller tires or is the diameter different? It not just put the 4.10s in the mustang. Then they won't be used!

So my point proven. gears that whine IMHO are a failure from an installation standpoint.

Yeah FoxRod, the expedition has 3:73's stock. It went from 17" to 20" tires and the slightest hill on the highway sends it right to downshifting and I get 14 mpg on a good day. Sounds crazy but I think the 4:10's will actually improve my mileage on the highway because they should put it back into the power curve that was engineered. As far as the stang goes, it has 3:08's at the moment. Just did a P.I. head swap over the summer and those 3:73's along with a shift kit will wake it up.
Rocky, I'm pretty good at most things but due to the close tolerance of gears, I don't mess with them. I will have them professionally installed. I believe he did mention something about a rotunda tool. I just heard blah, blah as long as they get put in. Thanks to both of you for your input. I like to be sure of things before I throw my money around.