Gears and custom tune are in.

Spreadman

two wheels
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Houston, TX
First off, big thanks to my buddy Richard. He installed my gears, rebuilt my rear, and get everything running. All for a friend price, and I felt guilty paying him that.

That brings me to my next thanks. To Cobra Killer. His chip that he sent me made a HUGE difference in the car. The gears made it faster, but the chip made it better. He adjusted for the 4.10's, turned off EGR (I don't trust hot unmetered air going into my intake), shut off rear 02 sensors, advanced timing, and put on a completely adaptive tune. So when I add plenums/TB....cold air kits....LT's.....it will adjust accordingly.

Not only that, but now the car idles SO smooth. If it weren't for the exhaust, you wouldn't know it was running. Plus tip in response is immediate, not delayed like it used to be.

Plus before, if I let the car engine brake for a while....it would hesitate bad before getting back into it. Now it's perfect. I can't believe it's the same car. And for those of you on the fence about gears. Don't fear. I did. Now I LOVE driving the car. Just pulls SO hard in every gear.

One of the things I was worried about was that I like running fast on the freeway, and I thought the 4.10's would limit me. OH was I wrong. It pulls SO much harder in 5th. In fact, 5th is what 4th was with 3.27's. Gas mileage is similar to 3.27's. I haven't noticed it dropping drastically. In fact, I want to add a Vortech to this combo. I love how the car feels now.

[South Park] But I've learned something today.... [/South Park]

One of the FIRST mods you should do with a modular motor is a Modular Powerhouse adaptive tune. If you plan on modding the car to stay NA....then it's almost necessary. PLUS, if you step up to a blower, you already have the chip, and you just have to send it back to get it reflashed. But if you add plenums and TB's...cold air kits...porting...whatever...it's going to automatically adjust your fuel instead of leaning you out like the stock tune will. And when he advances the timing, it's not like a stagnant setting like the Steeda TA....but it's where the car will make the power. I'm just very impressed with the whole thing.

Tim knows what he's doing, his chip is PERFECT for what my application is. Not only that, but he's been putting up with my phone calls while installing it. Rhonda (his wife) has also been awesome, putting up with taking Tim away from his work to deal with me. Hands down he runs an awesome shop.

Thanks Tim & Co.

Oh, and again.....if you haven't decided. GET 4.10's!

13.99 here I come!!!! :p

• Sponsors (?)

This sounds like the exact setup I'm slowly working towards... is this chip a "one-of-a-kind", or is it something which can be duplicated / bought? This would save me from getting a Diablo Predator? Cost? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Mega-Man said:
This sounds like the exact setup I'm slowly working towards... is this chip a "one-of-a-kind", or is it something which can be duplicated / bought? This would save me from getting a Diablo Predator? Cost? Inquiring minds want to know. :)
You let Tim know what mods you have and he does a custom tune for you. But the parameters allow for growth with your mods.

Good deal...I may have to make a trip to Houston to 'run ya'. Of course that's after my car recieves that high pitched whine. Overall my best mod has been the 4.10's but hearing you praise the tune I may have to go that route.

SVTStang03 said:
Sounds like a killer setup...

One queston; How do you turn the EGR off? Is it something I can do myself w/o re-burning my chip?
He eliminated it from the tune. So the valve stays closed. :) I don't think you can do it yourself without compensating somehow in your tune.

stang976 said:
damn! 575? i can get a full dyno/street tune with a custom chip for $500. i did hear tim does fantabulous work and all but if they wanna rob me they are gonna need a gun. :nonono:
You get what you pay for. I've seen too many people blow their stuff up cuz they went the cheaper route.

But before you take my word for it. Call them. Might be different for your application. Rhonda's nice....she won't bite.