Gears for the V6

ShadowGT

Dec 10, 2002
Western Kentucky
My wife wants a little more power out of her 2000 V6 and I was thinking gears. I was wondering what you guys recommend based on experience. I'm planning on 4.10's for my GT, but what would be a good gear for a bolt on V6 5 spd.? Are the 4.10's too much, or wouold we be better off with a 3.73?

• Sponsors (?)

ShadowGT said:
My wife wants a little more power out of her 2000 V6 and I was thinking gears. I was wondering what you guys recommend based on experience. I'm planning on 4.10's for my GT, but what would be a good gear for a bolt on V6 5 spd.? Are the 4.10's too much, or wouold we be better off with a 3.73?

I have 3.73's and tlok on my 99 auto i now have a supercharger and i find the gears might be a bit to much since i hit Od just before the end of the 1/4.

But for a 5 speed i heard 3.73 is more then enough and 4.10 if u own an auto.

I would first ask yourself how much time you spend on the highway or above 60mph in general. If it's even an appreciable amount, I'd think really hard about 4.10s or even 3.73s if you spend a lot of time.

If it's all city driving where you rarely go over 50mph anyway, grab yourself some 4.10s and hang on. :D

ShadowGT said:
Thanks for the replies!

What is the stock gear ratio on a 2000 v6 5 spd?
And about how much would one expect to pay for gears and t-loc on a six?

Stock gear is 3.27

I would say 3.73's for her, she would probably complain about all the noise if she took it on the highway with the 4.10's :D