Gears improvement

Bullitt0616

Aug 31, 2005
I searched and couldn't find anything on this, but is there someone out there who has measured 0-60MPH and 1/4 improvements of gears alone?

i have a stock Bullitt with 3.27's and was thinking of going 4.10's. I heard somewhere that 4.10s on a GT pulls like a Mach 1. If so, saying a stock GT goes from 0-60 in about 5.6 seconds, what would 4.10' do?

an estimaton would suffice.

Thanks,
Carlos

• Sponsors (?)

pull like a mach 1? granted i have no experience with a GT that has gears, or a mach 1, but i dont think only gears will make a GT pull like a mach, it's a totally different animal, no matter what gears a GT has, it's still the 260 hp 2v motor

Bullitt0616 said:
I searched and couldn't find anything on this, but is there someone out there who has measured 0-60MPH and 1/4 improvements of gears alone?

i have a stock Bullitt with 3.27's and was thinking of going 4.10's. I heard somewhere that 4.10s on a GT pulls like a Mach 1. If so, saying a stock GT goes from 0-60 in about 5.6 seconds, what would 4.10' do?

an estimaton would suffice.

Thanks,
Carlos

I got some experience in this that might help you decide. I just went through a divorce I had an 04 Comp Orange Mach 1, well had to get rid of it and bought a used 2000 stock gt. After a two months of crusing in my not so fast gt I upgraded to 4:10's and from what I can tell the gt pulls just as hard or harder - it helped me get over the whole power thing - now I feel like I've got a fast stang again. Of course my gas mileage isn't the greatest now because I floor it everywhere - I can break the tires loose in 1st and 2nd with out trying now, and the speedo needle climbs the numbers like sliding on a stick of butter. I also got the SCT Xcali-2 with a tune for 93 octane so that probably helped a little as well. I haven't been to the track yet to get any #'s but I'd definitly bet on a high 13 pass.

If the gas prices don't bother you, then I say go for it - you won't regret it. 3:73's aren't a big enough jump unless you plan SCing it.

Here is my take on gears -
3.73 makes the car feel about 500 lbs lighter. 4.10s about 1000lbs lighter. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten 4.10s. They are perfect for the mod-motored Mustang, unless you drive long distance highway miles, every day.

4.10's - 4.30's are no doubt the way to go. Around town driving 4.10's won't hurt your gas mileage, you'll just find yourself in 4th instead of 3rd most places... and using 5th alot more.

Gears won't affect your traction control, might affect your shifting some if you've got an auto - but since you'd need a chip/tuner to fix your speedo anyways then it'd fix that too.

Anyone who doesn't say 4.10's have never ridden in a car with 4.10's I promise.

Ok, 4.10s then :D Its a manual though and the consensus here has always been 3.73 for manual and 4.10 for auto. If he lives where it snows I am going to have to still say 3.73.

Kilgore Trout said:
Ok, 4.10s then :D Its a manual though and the consensus here has always been 3.73 for manual and 4.10 for auto. If he lives where it snows I am going to have to still say 3.73.

umm, not really. if you want the general concensus around here it is 3.73 for a s/c applications & 4.10 or higher for n/a. & even if the snow thing comes into play 4.10's ain't bad, i've done it several times ;)

well..since i have contacts in the parts world locally, ill try 4.10's. should i think theyre too much, i can always get 3.73's for cheap.

ill order them on tuesday (mondays a holiday) and get my diablo at the same time.

does the diablo alone help with performance? also, do you need dyno tuning with a diablo or just follow the instructions?

OK I got the 4.10s in my 04 auto Gt with a 93 oct. tune. I picked up 20 rwhp and 20 rwtq on the dyno. My 1/4 mile stock was a 14.54 and with the gears and tune its a 13.9 all with stock tires. Since you got a 5 speed im sure you can do a 13.8 or better and with a good set of tires so could I. It makes a hell of a difference. Id do the XCal2 if I were you though.

3.73 versus 4.10s

I was originally going to go with 3.73s also. I am glad I read the posts here
before I did. I went with 4.10s and am very happy. Even the guy doing the
install recommends 4.10s unless I was doing lots and lots of highway driving.
The car is so much more responsive now. It's too easy to hit the rev limiter
now in 1st. :)