Gears install???

old_blue

15 Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
I want to get some 3.55s for the rear and I was wondering if that is something that I could do at home in the driveway given a weekend or would I need to have a shop do it? Also, are used gears any good. Found some for $55 that have 1500+/- on them...

• Sponsors (?)

dont ever get used gears unless your buying the whole axle to swap in.Gears wear as a set in that axle.If you change the axle then the clearances are just little bit off.Some people install used gears and dont have any problems but alot more due run into problems.As for the install. Yeah you can do it at your house.Just look up some directions of how to do it and get a everything your gonna need before tearing it down.Make very sure that you get you a bottle of marking compund and check it very close.If there not setup right then itll howl all of the time or break.

I wouldn't use used gears personally, but i've heard of people using them before. as for doing it yourself, do you know how to use a 1" travel indicator? do you have a micrometer or calipers to measure shim thickness? just some basic necessities you need when installing gears. I've installed quite a few sets myself and if you've got some good mechanical skills i'd say you can probably do it yourself.

yeah my gears were installed by my friend a long time ago and they are howling now.
i need to get them shimmed. i never did gears before and my friend is gone. i guess i should start studying so i can fix it.