gears.......installation? price?

mustangkid05

Mar 10, 2006
hey guys, im looking into getting gears....how much do they cost, and installation wise is it hard? or am i better off going to a shop?.......also i do alot of just cruising so i dont think 4.10's would be a good idea??

thanks

t
e
d:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Before you get flamed, this has got to be the most posted thread on stangnet. Try a search. As far as installation goes; it is very detailed, and you must be somewhat mechanically inclined. You also must be able to follow directions to a tee. 4:10s are good for N/A, but if you do alot of highway, or are planning on getting a blower, dont go over 3:73s.

Gears must be professionally installed and are an excellent mod to do :nice:

Expect to pay a couple hundred for the gears and two to three times as much as that for the install.

well I payed $25.00 for the 3:73's and posi carrier.
$30.00 ish for the synthetic lube
$24.00 for the 2 bottles of friction modifier
$20.00 ish for the axle seals.
$40.00 ish for the bearings.
$14.00 for the pinion nut
$12.00 for the pinion seal
$45.00 for the pinion bearing

and I think that was as thorough as I'm going to be.

1/2 of the stuff I replaced didn't need to be done... but when I don't need to pay for labour (mechanic) and it's all apart you might as well do it...

You need a few somewhat expensive tools to do the job, and a bit of know-how... well alot to do it perfectly.

In my opinion if you have to ask if you can do it yourself that means you can't.

We were doing ring&pinion on my T/A today. If you have proper tools, knowlege and patients, its not "that" hard. Its just really really tidius job.
Take carrier out. shimm it, put it back, measure the backrash. if its off(and most likely off), take it back out. Grab another shimm. Repeat the process.

repeat that until you get it right.

We got our ass kicked, as none of shimm we had was right. We worked on it at my mechanic's shop after hour. they have crop load of shimms. Just didn't have one we needed...

I'm getting mine done at MPH. That's a $250 labor charge. I also have to get a stud swapped off the hub, so that's probably a few bucks more. Gearset and install kit is about $200.