Gettin rid of wheel hop

Boss75

May 6, 2004
Lubbock, TX
I've been thinking about this for a while now, and would really like to get rid of that damn wheel hop I get when I'm accelerating hard. What are the items I need? I don't really want to go solid axle at this point cause I do autocross some but I'm kind of a suspension newb. I know it's got an independent rear and thats about it heh.

Even links to diagrams of our suspension would be great. I've got a 99 Cobra.

Oh, and what would be best to start with, maybe small, then next, etc etc.

• Sponsors (?)

First thing to try would be some better rubber. A lot of times a stickier tire which provides better grip will help alleviate a lot of the hop. Next would be some adjustable shocks with stiffer rebound dampening. This can also help control the problem. If those two don't work then you're left with replacing the IRS bushings with some poly ones. This a major PITA to do though. If after all of that you're still not happy a straight axle is your last resort.

U.M.

Boss75 said:
Well I've got brand new Yokahama AVS ES 100's on it, and that just left me with a broken half shaft, so new rubber didn't help. And is that it? What's an IRS brace do? I've heard of that thing.
You mean the torque brace? You could upgrade your stock torque brace with the larger one from the 03/04 Cobra (about $80), but I've never heard of anyone stating that made much difference in the wheel hop. Have you tried drag radials yet? The Yokahama's really aren't that much better than the stock rubber from what I've read. As for half shafts... maybe some level 5's from DSS are in order? :shrug:

U.M.

Boss75 said:
Would level 5's eliminate wheel hop, or just prevent another from breaking? And I'm thinking about going with an Eibach pro kit. Would that help any?
The level 5's won't affect wheel hop at all, but they will not break! The new springs may make a difference if they are stiffer than the stock springs you run now.

Send a PM to tomustang, he's the resident handling guru on the forums and he may have some other suggestions to help you get a handle on your hop.

U.M.

It helps reduce wheel hop, also aids in stiffening the sub frame thru the bushings. FR500's and 03+ cobras have them, usually run around $200. A complete subframe bushing kit for the IRS will reduce wheel hop signifigantly durring acceleration which is what you're looking for. here is a link for a kit http://www.maximummotorsports.com/mmirsu.asp

99 Cobra's run a 500lb front spring and a 470lb out back, if you can find some (they'd be cheap OEM choices removed from other cars) you can opt for some 03-04 cobra springs, they are 600lbs front to back

This a pic with some explanations of the IRS

00irs.jpg

Brace is on the top of the pic

p0000240.jpg

FR500/MM/03-04 Cobra Brace

m5030f.jpg

Level 5's are expensive but have a rating of 900HP max, if you're not putting down too much hp you should be good with level 2's which are good for 600hp

hope this helps

*Edited*