Getting A 9 Inch To Fit In A 65

stangbang65

Aug 20, 2016
Some of you might remember my previous post about which rear end was the best and whatnot. I have the opportunity to buy a 9 inch from a 71 mustang for $100. The seller is also a welder which I would imagine might be needed for this task. Is there any guide as to what exactly needs to be done to get it to fit? I've tried searching around, but most posts I've seen so far just mention getting an 8.8 to fit.

• Sponsors (?)

Isnt that a bit wider than the stock rearend? Rewelding the spring perches is no biggie. Ive been tossing this around myself but shortening a rearend I dunno how to do
Things like this are what I'm concerned about. I don't know exactly what to say to a potential welder about what I want done - I don't know much about rear ends, other than my current 7.25 will break behind the much more powerful than the original inline 6 68 302. My main concern is spending about a grand on a front disc conversion, only to break the rear end which would force me to swap to five lug discs on the front, so another thousand. I feel the previous owner cut many corners on this car, which I plan to rectify, but again, I don't know where to start.

I had a professional narrow a junkyard 9" rearend from a 77 Bronco to same width as my 66 Mustang rearend, he tacked on the perches in same location, only tacked so I could check angle and finish welding them out; he put new clutches in the traclok and added a heavy duty yoke. I bought moser axles and a new driveshaft to finish it, and new large truck drums. I'd encourage you contact a local shop that narrows rearends and talk to them about what you want. The guy I used was in north central Ohio and did work on dirt track cars. I recall him saying he used less torque in my traklok since mine was a street car. Been years ago, wish I'd written down everything. I think you need a experienced pro for this job if it needs narrowed. $100 I think is about what I paid for the Bronco rearend years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest getting someone to do it that's done it before. Although its not complicated if you or the welder are not familiar with certain things when performing this you may end up doing it again to correct mistakes. For instance your spring perches will need a 5 degree rotational offset from the yoke, your diff is offset 2 inches from flange to flange, you'll have to get shorter axles or have yours shortened, you'll have to know the splines count on your axles