Getting A '91 2.3

Jriggs87

Mar 18, 2016
Hello all,
I am picking up a 91 4cyl for basically nothing from a friend of mine. It doesn't run so after I fiddle with it I'll have more questions but my main question right now is this...

This car looks like a convertible, but it isn't. It has a soft cloth over top of a fiberglass roof. I've tried doing research on this type of fox body and have come up empty. Have any of you heard of this? Once again, this is a NON-convertible soft top mustang, I have never heard of this!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 85
  • image.png
    image.png
    525.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Sponsors (?)

Hello all,
I am picking up a 91 4cyl for basically nothing from a friend of mine. It doesn't run so after I fiddle with it I'll have more questions but my main question right now is this...

This car looks like a convertible, but it isn't. It has a soft cloth over top of a fiberglass roof. I've tried doing research on this type of fox body and have come up empty. Have any of you heard of this? Once again, this is a NON-convertible soft top mustang, I have never heard of this!!!
Never heard of it either, but i dont' understand how it can be a soft top, but it doesn't come down to convertible ? Maybe you can transform it, and make it a convertible ?

Take a pic of the back seat area. That'll tell you for certain what it is.

Fox bodies could be had with factory vinyl roofs, but it's pretty rare to see on an 87-93 car. The vinyl roof was more of an early-80's fad.

Take a pic of the back seat area. That'll tell you for certain what it is.

Fox bodies could be had with factory vinyl roofs, but it's pretty rare to see on an 87-93 car. The vinyl roof was more of an early-80's fad.

Thanks gearbanger. What exactly am I looking for in the rear seating area that would tell me what the heck it is? Will add pics soon!

If it has a package tray, where speakers would be behind the seat back, then its a coupe. I'm sure its a coupe with the top added aftermarket. The fiberglass is glued to the steel roof then covered with fabric.

If it has a package tray, where speakers would be behind the seat back, then its a coupe. I'm sure its a coupe with the top added aftermarket. The fiberglass is glued to the steel roof then covered with fabric.

You guys were right! It's a notchback coupe (which I'm most happy about!!!) here it is in the garage, got it home today! Trying to get it running so I pulled the starter to have advance check it and then go from there! Will be updating soon!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    89 KB · Views: 84
Reactions: 1 user
It certainly is an odd configuration. The faux convertible to has to be some sort of aftermarket add on?

All of the vinyl top optioned cars I've seen still have a full glass rear window. This one however does not. It's almost as though the original owner was setting it up for some sort of confession and never followed through?

The reason I asked for pictures of the rear seat area, is that a true convertible car (whether it be in LX coupe, of GT configuration) has a much narrower rear seat section, with large bulging interior panel sections for the convertible to hardware. It makes the car insult identifiable, as it is impossible to accommodate a retractable convertible top without it. The only other option you could consider, would be if this was an attempt at a custom "lift off" fiberglass top…similar to the set up used with early 94-95 SN95 models?

....but I would think had they followed through with it, that an obvious latching mechanism would be visible inside the vehicle?