getting a CEL

1fun281

Mar 16, 2009
Atlanta Georgia
Me and my friend cannot figure out what this code is for we believe it is screwed up upstream 02 sensors but we cant figure it out.
The code is fuel air metering code or something like that, the numbers were p01511 or something around there.
Any help on this would be appreciated we thought it might be the maf so we changed it, and it didnt help.
When i start the car up cold it will run fine for about 2 minutes then the rpm's drop to about 500 and wants to stall, and you can feel a cylinder missing when cruising, then about 2 minutes after all that it runs 100 percent fine again, i thought it was becuase it was cold but it just doesnt seem right.

Mods are offroad x borla catback mil eliminators and underdrive pulleys.

sorry for the long post.

• Sponsors (?)

DTC p01511 is not valid. Too many digits.

IF the DTC is P0151, this is pinpoint test H27 which deal with Contaminated O2 sensors.

DTC P1511 is not valid.

Seams silly to go any further as this may not be the correct code.

>>>Pinpoint test H27
H27 CHECK FOR SOURCE OF POTENTIAL HO2S CONTAMINATION
Investigate the following items as potential sources of HO2S contamination:
Use of unapproved silicon sealers.
Fuel contaminated by silicon additives.
Excessive oil burning (i.e. rings, valve seals and oil overfill).
Glycol (antifreeze) leaking internally in the engine.
Lead contaminated fuel.
Short drive cycles in cold weather.
Use of unapproved cleaning agents.

Do you have these Codes p1151 and p1131.

P1131 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1

P1151 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2

I just Received and fixed a similar issue with my car running normal then dipping in rpms or stalling. Then starts up like normal. Before you spend a whole lot of money on fufu gauges and diagnostics gear I would look for vacuum leaks. My car had the same symptoms and I bought a IAC and TPS and taken off and cleaned my whole throttle body and pendulum while checking all the seals. Come to find out when none of that was the issue. It was a hairline crack that was in my breather hose going from my left side of my valve cover to my IAC (Facing the motor from front of car) Replaced it with some 7/8 in radiator hose from auto zone I had around the house. I did not believe I had a leak at first until I squeezed the hose and it collapsed and the motor died. Now it runs like champ and I get better MPG.

You Get that Metered Code when you get unmetered air accessing the motor through a leak. Usually throws that code when the Computer can not compensate for all the extra air. Is it burning more gas than normal.

P1151 OBD Trouble Code
NOTICE: The information contained on this site is presented for information only. OBD-Codes.com is not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicles. If you have any doubt as to repairs on your vehicle, please contact a qualified technician.

Technical DescriptionLack of HO2S-21 Switch, Sensor Indicates Lean

What does that mean?A Heated Exhaust Oxygen (HO2S) sensor indicating lean at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-rich condition. The test fails when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time.

SymptomsYou will likely not notice any drivability problems.

CausesA code P1151 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Electrical:
Short to VPWR in the harness or HO2S
Water in the harness connector
Open/shorted HO2S circuit
Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
Damaged HO2S
Damaged PCM

Fuel System:
Excessive fuel pressure
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
Vapor recovery system

Induction System:
Air leaks after the MAF
Vacuum Leaks

PCV system:
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:
Leaking gasket
Stuck EGR valve
Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:
Oil overfill
Cam Timing
Cylinder compression
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)
Possible SolutionsSee the above list of causes and go from there.

Sources: MotorCraftService.com

Do you have these Codes p1151 and p1131.

P1131 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1

P1151 Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2

I just Received and fixed a similar issue with my car running normal then dipping in rpms or stalling. Then starts up like normal. Before you spend a whole lot of money on fufu gauges and diagnostics gear I would look for vacuum leaks. My car had the same symptoms and I bought a IAC and TPS and taken off and cleaned my whole throttle body and pendulum while checking all the seals. Come to find out when none of that was the issue. It was a hairline crack that was in my breather hose going from my left side of my valve cover to my IAC (Facing the motor from front of car) Replaced it with some 7/8 in radiator hose from auto zone I had around the house. I did not believe I had a leak at first until I squeezed the hose and it collapsed and the motor died. Now it runs like champ and I get better MPG.

You Get that Metered Code when you get unmetered air accessing the motor through a leak. Usually throws that code when the Computer can not compensate for all the extra air. Is it burning more gas than normal.

P1151 OBD Trouble Code
NOTICE: The information contained on this site is presented for information only. OBD-Codes.com is not responsible for any actions you take on any vehicles. If you have any doubt as to repairs on your vehicle, please contact a qualified technician.

Technical DescriptionLack of HO2S-21 Switch, Sensor Indicates Lean

What does that mean?A Heated Exhaust Oxygen (HO2S) sensor indicating lean at the end of a test is trying to correct for an over-rich condition. The test fails when the fuel control system no longer detects switching for a calibrated amount of time.

SymptomsYou will likely not notice any drivability problems.

CausesA code P1151 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Electrical:
Short to VPWR in the harness or HO2S
Water in the harness connector
Open/shorted HO2S circuit
Corrosion or poor mating terminals and wiring
Damaged HO2S
Damaged PCM

Fuel System:
Excessive fuel pressure
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors
Leaking fuel pressure regulator
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel
Vapor recovery system

Induction System:
Air leaks after the MAF
Vacuum Leaks

PCV system:
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick

EGR System:
Leaking gasket
Stuck EGR valve
Leaking diaphragm or EVR

Base Engine:
Oil overfill
Cam Timing
Cylinder compression
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2S(s)
Possible SolutionsSee the above list of causes and go from there.

Sources: MotorCraftService.com

heres the thing i bought the car about a month ago, and i have brought it to better shape but we noticed it has 24lb injectors but every thing else is stock tb/ plenum etc... could that be causing one of the fuel problems or what?

ok the actual code is p1151, and thanks for answering so your saying its most likely a vacuum leak that i need to look for?

Check all your hoses after you MAF, Intake to IAC, Valve Cover to TAC, Intake to Valve Cover. Check all the hoses you see that the car uses to breath metered air. you used to be able to use TB cleaner or MAF cleaner but its not as good anymore (due to huffers) but it will make the car sputter a little but once its taken in. I recommend cleaning the hoses before you spray them with the motor running you don’t want to breath any foreign matter. Or you can simply take off and inspect each Vacuum hose for damage. Just cover the holes stuff just always seams to go into the holes. ill post a diagram latter.:nice:

Me and my friend cannot figure out what this code is for we believe it is screwed up upstream 02 sensors but we cant figure it out.
The code is fuel air metering code or something like that, the numbers were p01511 or something around there.
Any help on this would be appreciated we thought it might be the maf so we changed it, and it didnt help.
When i start the car up cold it will run fine for about 2 minutes then the rpm's drop to about 500 and wants to stall, and you can feel a cylinder missing when cruising, then about 2 minutes after all that it runs 100 percent fine again, i thought it was becuase it was cold but it just doesnt seem right.

Mods are offroad x borla catback mil eliminators and underdrive pulleys.

sorry for the long post.

Looks like you have a typo on the number. If you REALLY have P0115, its a coolant temp sensor failure.

I would check your intake connections really well for vacuum leaks first.

When I got my car about a month ago I got a code 1131 , Lean bank 1 one, one cause of which is a vacuum leak. I found that I was missing a hose clamp on the IAC.

I replaced the missing clamp and checked all of the other intake connections, cleared the code and 500 miles later still no code.

Hope this helps.

I would check your intake connections really well for vacuum leaks first.

When I got my car about a month ago I got a code 1131 , Lean bank 1 one, one cause of which is a vacuum leak. I found that I was missing a hose clamp on the IAC.

I replaced the missing clamp and checked all of the other intake connections, cleared the code and 500 miles later still no code.

Hope this helps.

thanks for the input i will try all of these.

You have 24# injectors? What maf is on the car (what color injectors as well to be sure). If the maf is not working right or mis callibrated it will cause a lean condition. I tossed a c&l for a stocker b/c I chased this exact code for a month, only for it to be the maf.

You have 24# injectors? What maf is on the car (what color injectors as well to be sure). If the maf is not working right or mis callibrated it will cause a lean condition. I tossed a c&l for a stocker b/c I chased this exact code for a month, only for it to be the maf.

well that what me and my friend thought were the problem too and he gave me his old maf calibrated for 24# injectors and we thought this would fix the problem but it didnt.