Progress Thread Getting In Over My Head: '89 Gt Hatch: End Of The Road

• Sponsors (?)

I decided to take a risk, and rather than try to diagnose all the grounds, I'd fix something I knew was marginal, and see if it helped. And it did!

The whole electrical system in this car is iffy, largely because someone who owned the car before me went a little wirecutter-happy and had totally wacky priorities. Like, for example, the fact that there's fairly new wire run to the trunk for... a subwoofer? That, and the audio head unit wiring is all chopped--more evidence for a subwoofer plan. Bad enough, but this person felt that audio wiring was more important than fixing this:

IMG_20161122_182552.jpg

Yeah, that'll drive a subwoofer. Not.

See that electrical tape around that black wire running across and down from the negative battery terminal? That's the wire in the "pull codes" sticky that attaches to a screw right next to the battery, which also branches off to provide... the main computer ground. And now, my computer is freaking out, almost as if its power connections were a bit iffy. Hmmm....

So, before chasing down gremlins, I figured now was a good time to fix what clearly needed to be fixed, at least on the negative side. If that fixes the problem, hooray! If not, well, I needed to do it anyway, and I've at least eliminated a possible source of trouble.

I'd even bought a set of replacement battery cables a while back, but just hadn't gotten around to swapping them out. So I was ready to go.

Swap done, dome light still worked, fired it up, and boom. Started right up, ran as well as it ever has. No super-rough idle, no check engine light, nothing, just sweet, sweet rumble and the whiff of leaky exhaust. The voltmeter on the dash was higher than usual, too.

The positive cable is still the nasty one. It's late, and I'm cold, so that will wait for another day. But not the "car dies on the road again and gives me a scare" version of "another day".

Reactions: 2 users
I decided to take a risk, and rather than try to diagnose all the grounds, I'd fix something I knew was marginal, and see if it helped. And it did!

The whole electrical system in this car is iffy, largely because someone who owned the car before me went a little wirecutter-happy and had totally wacky priorities. Like, for example, the fact that there's fairly new wire run to the trunk for... a subwoofer? That, and the audio head unit wiring is all chopped--more evidence for a subwoofer plan. Bad enough, but this person felt that audio wiring was more important than fixing this:

IMG_20161122_182552.jpg

Yeah, that'll drive a subwoofer. Not.

See that electrical tape around that black wire running across and down from the negative battery terminal? That's the wire in the "pull codes" sticky that attaches to a screw right next to the battery, which also branches off to provide... the main computer ground. And now, my computer is freaking out, almost as if its power connections were a bit iffy. Hmmm....

So, before chasing down gremlins, I figured now was a good time to fix what clearly needed to be fixed, at least on the negative side. If that fixes the problem, hooray! If not, well, I needed to do it anyway, and I've at least eliminated a possible source of trouble.

I'd even bought a set of replacement battery cables a while back, but just hadn't gotten around to swapping them out. So I was ready to go.

Swap done, dome light still worked, fired it up, and boom. Started right up, ran as well as it ever has. No super-rough idle, no check engine light, nothing, just sweet, sweet rumble and the whiff of leaky exhaust. The voltmeter on the dash was higher than usual, too.

The positive cable is still the nasty one. It's late, and I'm cold, so that will wait for another day. But not the "car dies on the road again and gives me a scare" version of "another day".
Woohoo! That's got to feel good!:nice:

So work has continued to kick my butt, as has my quest for a driveable car. This Honda of my son's is turning out to be an epic novel of heroic proportions.

But wait, you might be saying... didn't you fix the Fox? Nope. Took it out for an errand not too long afterwards, and while the engine seems to be happy, the rest of the car clearly isn't. I need to run codes again, but from the last drive-around, I'm expecting that will be less interesting. Something else in the drivetrain appears to not be happy. The car doesn't want to move like it used to. I turned it around and immediately parked it, and haven't driven it since, not even to do more diagnosis work.

But there are some hints that I noticed. It started having trouble shifting into 2nd, which it's never had before. Oh, and the squeak from what I think is the throwout bearing has changed in a subtle way. I already know this thing has transmission issues; maybe those are now becoming more urgent.

Which is fine, because in between work craziness and trying to get the Honda aligned, I did take time to make a few purchases:

IMG_20161206_001103.jpg

IMG_20161206_000232.jpg

That old tranny, sitting in pieces in my garage for a better part of a year? Yeah, it's time.

Or it will be time if I can get a leg up on work stuff.

Reactions: 1 users
In the meantime, I think I finally found a picture that kinda illustrates how I want my car to look when it's all done:

00606_2onGYxFGXfB_1200x900.jpg

(From this Craigslist ad: http://bloomington.craigslist.org/cto/5896766299.html)

The main takeaway is the color-on-top, black-on-bottom scheme. Imagine that with the red from the '86 that @Davedacarpainter laid down instead of this blue. That, and the GT body kit. Also, add some judicious use of tint on the side windows, to give the car a little red-black accenting theme.

What do you all think of that?

It's a ways from getting to this point, but when the time comes, I'm thinking of trying my hand at body work and paint. What's the worst that could happen, right? (Don't answer that. I want to think happy thoughts. :rlaugh:)

Still here. Work took an interesting turn, and I've spent the last year working crazy hours and traveling more than usual.

I've been making progress on the car, but slowly, and the car's been fighting me. The transmission is nearly all together, but the one in the car started acting funny. I still believe the throwout bearing is incorrectly installed, so my guess is it may be on its way out.

It also decided to drop a muffler. Which turns out to be a big project, because someone welded the entire exhaust together past the manifold. I scored a BBK off-road H-pipe for cheap, and a really cheap new catback setup, which should tide me over once I get it on the car.

Getting things together, so hopefully will have a picture-filled and drama-filled update soon. Crossing my fingers that work doesn't find another emergency for me to take over.

Back again. Life and work has been interesting over the last year and a half. But at some point, you need to say "screw it" and let yourself do things you like, rather than spend all your time on obligations.

The news isn't all good for my crazy project. I got a good break in the winter weather back in February, and took the car out for some errands. Afterwards, puttering around taking care of small things, I noticed the frame rail was puckered, just a little bit bent, and that the rust was now to the point that I could see the valve covers from the wheel well. That was the moment I decided it was time to ground the car until I could get those rails fixed.

After a bit of hassle finding what looked like a decent shop, I got a quote of about $10K to fix what they saw, and that was assuming they didn't miss anything. $10K buys a fairly nice Fox around here, so I elected to cut my losses.

The good news for the car: it was bought by a guy from Illinois who does body work professionally. He wants to restore it and make it a run-around-town car. So, the car has perhaps its best shot at a future.

Here's one of the last shots, from the Craigslist post:

The good news: although this is the end for me and this particular car, it's not the end for me and Foxes. New thread incoming...